DnB Dark & Desolate Production Competition Samples [Deleted]

Status
Not open for further replies.

xiris

Resident Canadian
VIP Junglist
SUBMISSION DEADLINE JUNE 08, 2020 at 11:59PM PST.
direct message @xiris your download-enabled PRIVATE track on SoundCloud.

FOR SOME STRANGE REASON, WHEN YOU COPY A PRIVE SOUNDCLOUD LINK TO OUR SITE, IT CONVERTS IT TO THE PUBLIC LINK. PLEASE INSERT A HYPERLINK IN YOUR MESSAGE TO ME WITH THE PRIVATE URL.
Sorry for the inconvenience guys, i didn't see this one coming.

To share a private track with someone: Go to your track on soundcloud, click "Share" then copy the Private Link and PM it to me.

To download-enable your track: Click "edit" for your track. Under "Permissions" click enable Direct Download.

Copy that Private Link and make a HYPERLINK to it in your private message to me.

If you already sent me a PM with your track, but it isn't download enabled, don't stress, i'll still accept the submission if you don't see this until tomorrow. Just make sure you download-enable it as soon as you see this.

DO NOT POST YOUR TRACK PUBLICLY UNTIL THE JUDGES HAVE CHOSEN A WINNER. The judges will be receiving the tracks labelled "Track A,B,C, etc.

REMEMBER TO INCLUDE YOUR UNEDITED FIELD RECORDING AT THE END OF YOUR TRACK IF YOU CHOSE TO USE ONE.

Welcome to the May 2020 Dark & Desolate production competition!
Our amazing prize pack has been donated to us by BHK Samples!
Please check out their great sample library and be sure to support the company that is supporting us!

www.BHKsamples.com

FIRST PLACE
400GBP of samples from BHKSamples.com

SECOND PLACE
300GBP of samples from BHKSamples.com

THIRD PLACE
200GBP of samples from BHKSamples.com​

THE RULES
1. You may only use the sounds from the sample packs provided, plus the sound options outlined in rule 2 and rule 3.

- You may edit the samples in any shape, way, or form that you desire, but your song must consist only of sounds from the sample pack, vocal elements and a maximum of 1 field recording track. More details on the latter below.
- Granular synthesis is fine. KEEP YOUR EDITS. You must be able to reconstruct your sound if challenged. If you are challenged by a judge to re-construct an edit that you have made to a sample, and you cannot perform said reconstruction, you are disqualified! So, keep your resamples, and effects chains, etc. We've never had to challenge someone in the past, but that doesn't mean it won't happen.

2. You may ALSO add as many sung, spoken word or rap vocal tracks as you like. They can be sample based, or recorded on your own.
To be considered a "vocal" element, your sound, when solo'd, must still be easily comprehensible. Please use only English voice elements.
- There is NO penalty if you do not use vocals in your track. They are optional.
- Make sure it is a legal source!
- They must remain vocal tracks! IF you do reprocess them into sound effects [i.e. the judges cannot make out what the person is saying in the vocal track, when the track is solo'd], it means you're DISQUALIFIED.
- DON'T beatbox/make noises with your mouth/create sound effects with your mic.
- DON'T reprocess these vocals into sound effects!

3. You may also use one field recording track.
- There is NO penalty if you do not use a field recording in your track. It is optional.
- One field recording only.
- Include the raw audio of the field recording at the end of your track.
- You may edit/chop up/split the field recording as you like. KEEP YOUR EDITS.
- Maximum length of field recording is 30 seconds.

DECIDING THE WINNERS
DO NOT POST YOUR TRACK ONTO YOUR SOCIALS UNTIL THE COMPETITION WINNER HAS BEEN DECIDED. All tracks will be presented to the judges anonymously. They will not know who made what track until after the competition has concluded. The judges will receive the tracks as "Track A, Track B, etc.". Depending on the number of entries, we may have a forum-wide vote to decide who makes it into the final round of judging. This will be updated more as we find out how many people have entered.

JUDGEMENT CRITERIA
1. Arrangement - (Does the song progress well? Does it sound like a 32 bar loop? Different 2nd drop?) - 10 points
2. Composition Originality & Creative use of Samples (sample manipulation, slicing & processing) - 10 points
3. Mixing & Mastering Quality - (Tight mix down? Well mastered? Clashing frequencies? Well balanced?) - 10 points
4. Likeness to Genre - (does it sound Dark AND Desolate?)- 5 points

TRACK SUBMISSION
This will be updated shortly, but rest assured, there will be a way for you to submit your tracks.

SUBMISSION DEADLINE
The contest closes: June 08, 2020 at 11:59PM PST (Pacific Time Zone)

SAMPLE PACK

The sample pack link can by downloaded by clicking the link in the top-right corner of this redirect. You need to be registered as a user on the forum to download the pack.

Last edited:
Stiff rules. Should spark some wild ideas.

Good hunting everyone involved!
Its a balance between creative freedom and keeping the playing field level.. we didn't even used to allow vocal elements up until recently. Its always fun to see those couple of entries that just go above and beyond on their sample morphing

Its a balance between creative freedom and keeping the playing field level.. we didn't even used to allow vocal elements up until recently. Its always fun to see those couple of entries that just go above and beyond on their sample morphing

Oh no doubt and no complaints from me! I've downloaded the pack. Will take a gander later today to see what I can come up with.

can i field record at someone elses studio while he plays some sweet ass basses? :drevil:

Nah im on this though! Been in a real inspiration dip, so maybe this can get the juices flowing again

can i field record at someone elses studio while he plays some sweet ass basses? :drevil:

Nah im on this though! Been in a real inspiration dip, so maybe this can get the juices flowing again
is your friend's studio in a field? :teeth:

Good to see you around man! I can't wait to see what people come up with.

Guess I'm giving this a shot too. Idd, stiff rules, very curious for the results
surprised people think these rules are stiff.
use the sample pack + any vocal elements, if you'd like + 1 field recording, if you'd like, that's really it

good luck in the compo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom