DnB Dancefloor/Electro Influenced Track: Interlock

I was listening to it and thought the same thing right after I posted it. I have brought up the drum levels a bit and made a bit more room for them compared to the synths/basses. Thanks for the feedback!

Some good creative elements in this and you've worked hard added all these characteristics in the song although its on the verge of sounding like several different songs, its wicked though!

Great soundesign here man! with a cleaner mix and punchier drums you would be able to compete with the big kids. I'm not sure on how I feel about the sort of complextro part in this track tho..

Thanks for the feedback guys! Yes, I am not quite to the level I would like to be with drums in general, and mixing down, but I've made some pretty big leaps and bounds over the past year, so I'm pleased with my progress.

Haha, you know, I would make some excuse and argue that the whole complextro/brostep scene is much larger than drum&bass and I'm trying to tap into it because that's what the kids like these days...... but honestly, I like it a lot too, so I couldn't help myself =P Also, I have a thing for those polyrhythmic kind of time changes (going into 3/4s time using triplets as the new downbeats is basically what I did hear). My quirks/taste definitely come through in those stylistic decisions

Hey all, I jave been tidying up this track lately and it has definitely improved. However, my subbass monitoring situation isnt great. So I took it out with me to a local music store and demoed it on some club stacks. Most of it sounded great but there were a few tweaks needed in the sub range that became apparent. So I was wanting to know if there is anyone on here who can do a nice job of monitoring the 30-80 Hz range whp would have a losten and let me know what you think. Thanks all!

Hi,

really nice song. As already said before, just work on a cleaner mix. I don't think that the snare really fits that style, maybe try out some different samples.
And, if you didn't already do that, you could try to use sidechaining, so everything else ducks when the snare hits. I think it should be more prominent. :)

By that I mean that you should clean the mix up by EQing everything a bit more precisely. For example, make more room for your snare by cutting certain frequencies in other elements. I suggest that you start by using frequency analysers on the elements in the mix that might be interfering with each other (snare and midrange bass etc.). You should find out where you want your snare to peak and cut these frequencies in other elements that would otherwise also be prominent in that area.

If you haven't done it yet, you can also start by adding a high-pass and a low-pass to every single element in the mix. For example, solo the snare drum and start with one EQ band at 20 kHz, going lower and lower until you notice a difference and stop right before that. This will make sure that there is no unnecessary noise in any element in the mix that might cloud the mix up. Do this with all the elements in the mix, not only with a low-pass, but also with a high-pass.
And then go on with subtractive EQ (the first thing that I have mentioned), i.e. cutting certain frequencies in the bass to make more room for the snare etc.

Something that can also be used is sidechain compression, so that everytime the snare hits, the other elements slightly duck.

Ah yeah, that is what I suspected. I already sidechained and did most of the subtractive EQing; I've heard of the high pass/lowpass strategy before but haven't ever tried it. I guess it is time to get my hands dirty and give it a shot. Thanks again!

Alright, I went through and chopped out a bunch of frequencies, scooped some others, all that good stuff. I think I'm going to leave the snare alone, IMO it works. All that cutting had a fairly subtle effect, but the mix does seem a bit more defined overall

Really good tune mate :) Just a enough going on to make it interesting, but not too much that is starts sounding cluttered. Not normally a big fan of really long tunes, a lot of them tend to drag on a bit, but you've got some very unexpected twists in there. Nice work

Back
Top Bottom