DnB Dan J - ROUND THE CORNER

I like the atmosphere of it along with the sounds and ideas you have but it just feels a bit disjointed to me like the ideas don't quite gel together right. At the moment it sounds like a sketch to me but definitely a sketch with some potential

I feel this one in a major way. The build of this tune is very nice and lead me on a nice little path- kept me interested with the iterations you have going. Nice sounds, fairly dark and heavy. If you could try to sort out the mixdown a bit- I think maybe too much low and not enough middle his hi middles etcc? I have a pretty terrible ear lately so maybe i am tripping here. anyway, very nice one.

I like the atmosphere of it along with the sounds and ideas you have but it just feels a bit disjointed to me like the ideas don't quite gel together right. At the moment it sounds like a sketch to me but definitely a sketch with some potential

Thanks Ifan. Don't suppose you could say a bit more about how it's disjointed? I sort of know what you mean but can not put my finger on it. Could be the result of going back to it for short periods too many times rather than focusing on it for longer periods.

I feel this one in a major way. The build of this tune is very nice and lead me on a nice little path- kept me interested with the iterations you have going. Nice sounds, fairly dark and heavy. If you could try to sort out the mixdown a bit- I think maybe too much low and not enough middle his hi middles etcc? I have a pretty terrible ear lately so maybe i am tripping here. anyway, very nice one.

Thanks Periodic. Really glad you like it.

Fucking mixdowns....I am still having to mix on headphones or Dell computer speakers so I am not sure I can improve much till I move into my new house and build my studio lol. Interesting what you say though - I ran it through a free online mastering service and rejected it as it lost a fair bit of the low....so maybe actually the master was more "correct" in the end than my ears could tell.

So it's not "muddy" just that there is "too much" low end?

Thank again

the break you're using sounds very muffled/low quality. plus a lot of your bass sounds like its panned to the right a bit, some cool sounds. i think you could scrap the first drawn out bass until you want an actual drop, takes away any impact you're trying to achieve by having that bass so early on imo,

you write: "I am still having to mix on headphones" ... same here (due to living situation), and sometimes it kinda feels like pissing in the wind. volume levels of my drum channels and busses often are fucked, also lower bass sounds completely misjudged. i sometimes take headphones off ears, put them on desk ,or kind of near face- at diff angles- in hopes of gaining some perspective.. also in my judgement, your latest mixdown (above) generally sounds quite decent by the way.. the break is a bit on the weak side though, listening again- but only after i read focal shifts comments, i missed this on 1st goround. overrall, nice one.

hello dan. good track, I like this one ! :2thumbs:
I agree, seems to need more glueing. I'm also missing a bit bass, could the speakers I'm on right now.
the horn sample ... is well .. very well known. I personally wouldn't for such a sample, imo. otherwise good work.

This shows promise. not enough bassline edits -by that I mean filter sweeps..... drums need a little work- try using a universal reverb to embed them a little, chop up that amen, loose the shit amen snare put in something better, use some ghost notes in the drums , lots more attention to detail especially when you have eth weak break on its own. Close though -keep bashing at this its promising

This shows promise. not enough bassline edits -by that I mean filter sweeps..... drums need a little work- try using a universal reverb to embed them a little, chop up that amen, loose the shit amen snare put in something better, use some ghost notes in the drums , lots more attention to detail especially when you have eth weak break on its own. Close though -keep bashing at this its promising

Thanks mate although this is 2 years old o_O

Back
Top Bottom