Drum & Bass D-Jhepz - Slew dem (mixdown q's)

Discussion in 'New Talent & Track Reviews' started by D-Jhepz, Feb 17, 2013.

1. D-Jhepz

D-Jhepz ◕‿◕

so i finished... however I'm not too sure on the mix down :S.. never really had much practice with it so any feedback is more than welcome

2. D-Jhepz

D-Jhepz ◕‿◕

so i'll get you started as i listen to in on some decent speakers last night... the bass is really over powering the drums and there's alot of mud everywhere... so how would i fix that?

3. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

You're spot on, the bass is overpowering the drums and there is quite a bit of muddy frequencies there.

So, what you want to do is begin by finding out where your kick drum peaks, and cut that frequency with a sharp notch filter out of your bass line. Same goes for the snare, find out where your snare peaks and again cut that from the bass. I'd also suggest maybe taking the bass frequencies down a touch around the 500hz area as that is a renowned hotspot for muddyness. Alongside this, some subtle sidechaining will also help bring the drums through the mix, although dont over do it, you want to avoid the pumping effect you get from over sidechaining with this track....it just wouldnt suit it.

Also look into surgical EQ for the bass, this is a technique where you sweep up and down the frequency spectrum with a sharp notch filter to find out where any unwanted frequencies are sitting, then removing them. Also, maybe bring the bass in a bit by slightly mono'ing the channel ( I wouldnt go completely mono, as this is a nice bass that would lose some dynamics by going too far, but around 60 - 70% should suffice)

4. D-Jhepz

D-Jhepz ◕‿◕

yeah i no about u mean about the surgical eq been reading alot in to the hole "improving your mixdown"...

as for the bass and mono and such how would i 60 or 70% mono it... cos currently i have it split 3 ways and am only monoing the sub 180hz as of most of fx bass is lying above that?

anyway thanks for thank the time to help out im reallu chuffed with this just need to get it sounding proper now

5. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

Depends what DAW you use....In Ableton there is a plugin called "Utility" Which basically allows you to control gain, pan, and stereo width. Im guessing there is a way in any DAW maybe in the mixer to control the stereo width?