D&B with strong trance inspiration (do u guys think it's good enough to be signed?)

djdizzy

DJ Dizzy - Tonightt (D&B + Uplifting Trance)

it's my usual style of d&b with trance-style melodies but i spent a lot of time on this one, hope you guys like it. i've been dj'ing and producing for a really long time but it wasn't until a year ago that i got really serious about producing. long story short, i've never shopped songs around before but i'd love to have a song signed one of these days. i'm still improving (aren't we all) but in your guys' opinion, do you think i'm anywhere near that goal based on what you hear? how much of a pipe dream is it? my goal/dream of getting song(s) signed is more because of what it represents rather than trying to make any money, i could care less about the nickels and dimes i'd be given.

Last edited:
Re: D&B with strong trance inspiration (do u guys think it's good enough to be signed

Sounds like it's missing something tbh, and it gets pretty repetitive after a while, I would add some more FX and synths, and maybe cut the track down to around 3-4 minutes. But keep working! :)

Re: D&B with strong trance inspiration (do u guys think it's good enough to be signed

yeah i agree with blaastrup that it missing something and the lenght kinda makes it repetitive try to cut down the intro also i think for drum and bass this lacks the bass part but i like those summer vibes keep it up

some nice melodic stuff in there, especially those new synth chords that come in around 2 minutes, the vocal chopping over that bit is wicked too. Again though, it does repetitive...cut it shorter. I'd like to here more breaks in there too to sit behind the kick n snare, give it more of a rolling feel

thanks for the feedback, it's really helpful! it felt too long to me also. but then i changed up the melody for the plucks and supersaw phases during the 2nd half to get rid of repitition but i think it comes down to, even with the subtle changeup, it's the same instruments (synth sounds) and same drum pattern and seems to go on for a little too long. after i changed up the melody slightly in the second half, i decided to changeup the drums a little bit every 8 bars or so plus a new drum pattern leading into a phases when it's progressing from a phase that didn't have drums, a drum changeup at the end of a drum phase. with the plucks and supersaw, every 8 bars i changed up the last couple notes, just a very subtle higher note being played to avoid repitition. i think it was all too subtle and the phases with those instruments perhaps just wore on a little too long regardless of little changeups. by that time i had spent so much time on the song that i couldn't really judge it from an outside perspective anymore, i'm sure you guys can relate to when that happens. so i appreciate the critiques, they're good ones, and i appreciate the positive feedback too!

these drums are made entirely from one shots, the ghost snares i changed the velocity, pitch, and a/d/s/r from a regular one-shot snare. usually i slice up and throw a layer of funk drums in my songs but because each drum slice from a funk break is different (due to hitting the drums/cymbals from different angles and velocity) they tend to range quite a bit as far as their frequency range. and with this song i layered the sawtooths pretty heavily for that supersaw feel, even the plucks (during the vocal hook) gets a quiet supersaw layer behind it acting as a pad. layering the sawtooths helped give it a much fatter sound but the trade-off is that it practically eats up the entire frequency range. i notched out a place for the kicks, snares and ghost snares from the supersaws so they cut through the mix but to use funk drums to give the rolling feel would require a larger frequency range around the mid-range. since i like to use synth sounds that are trancey, this is a problem i run into a lot. i usually have to make a decision which one i'm going to focus on for that song. either dedicate a significant frequency range in the mid-range for drums or focus on layering synth sounds for focus on harmony and notch out a minimal amount. so it comes down to - do i want more complex drums or a more complex (fatter) harmony?

thanks for taking the time out to give me feedback

sounds decent mate, like the ideas, i think the drop is lacking impact, sub sounds a tad low to me...Think you could do with a reese layered under the high end synths you have.. could fill it out.
also the beat needs filling out in terms of shuffles inbetween the snare/kick.
like i said liking the ideas though...

I think personally a more minmal beat with u have right now would be better, or filling out the beat and stick a bass inbetween the sub and high synths you have...

just my 2 cents

Back
Top Bottom