D&B Starting Set Help...

Papo1802

I have been listening to D&B for nearly 6years...and i have been wanting to start producing some music myself. What is a good set to start with and what would I need..??

anyone see the tc masterclass on computer music magazine?

his great tip to starting out makin music was...

buy a computer. brilliant.

there are so many different software nowadays, u don't need a big set up, you could slap reason 3 on a laptop and make some tunes on the tube on the way to work

As Bad Ace said get yourself a copy of Fruity loops. Its really easy to use. You should also pick up some production magazines as they usually include some royalty-free samples, tutorials, VSTs, Plug-ins and loads of other goodies.

Personally, I would suggest learning some basic musical knowledge first, learning chords, and how each note works with the next and so on.

The best producers of dance music (in general) have a genuine musical background... if you start using a sequencer and just hope that random notes work well together, you'll get frustarted and make crap tunes. (imo!) ;)

Personally, I would suggest learning some basic musical knowledge first, learning chords, and how each note works with the next and so on.

The best producers of dance music (in general) have a genuine musical background... if you start using a sequencer and just hope that random notes work well together, you'll get frustarted and make crap tunes. (imo!) ;)

thats wat i should of dun.
but i ended up makin loadsa shit 4 a wile but then u learn from your mistakes.

Shy Fx played the violin professionally before making Original Nuttah.

Or no he didn't, like most electronic music producers he sat down and stuck bits together, learning the theory afterwards.

I'd like you name to the best producers that have a 'genuine musical background' (what is that supposed to mean, anyway?) instead of learning to produce and gaining knowledge of musical theory along the way. If anything, a knowledge of what's wrong and right, stops you being groundbreaking. Jungle/d&b wasn't born in a classroom.

Don't think you can't produce d&b without knowing your octaves from your semi-claves, your tones from your baritone and your Reese Bass from your ass.

Shy Fx played the violin professionally before making Original Nuttah.

Or no he didn't, like most electronic music producers he sat down and stuck bits together, learning the theory afterwards.

I'd like you name to the best producers that have a 'genuine musical background' (what is that supposed to mean, anyway?) instead of learning to produce and gaining knowledge of musical theory along the way. If anything, a knowledge of what's wrong and right, stops you being groundbreaking. Jungle/d&b wasn't born in a classroom.

Don't think you can't produce d&b without knowing your octaves from your semi-claves, your tones from your baritone and your Reese Bass from your ass.

Adam F, Goldie, Fresh, Benny Page, Marcus Intalex, Sabre, Calibre, ST. Files, Commix, Chase & Status, Pendulum, Concord Dawn, Roni Size, DJ Die, Logistics, High Contrast, London Elektricity, Danny Breaks, 4 Hero, Photek, LTJ Bukem, PFM, Peshay.....just a few off the top of my head that had a musical background - however basic - that will undoubtedly make a difference when producing.... you cannot argue this.

When you write MUSIC it helps if you understand MUSIC .... you dont need to be fuckin Mozart, it's just a suggestion that this guy might find it handy to learn some basic piano skills ( for example) etc before worrying about shelling out hundreds on PC's etc...

And "knowing the difference between wrong and right" doesn't stop you from being groundbreaking... either you are in tune, or you are not. Either your bassline co mpliments your melody or it does not.

And, to be fair, old skool (& Jungle) was rarely very musical (other than your pioneers such as Joey Beltram, 4 Hero etc), it was ripped off samples with B-lines that were universal; nowadays it is far more important to express yourself with music and soul, rather than playing 2 notes and then copying and pasting them into your B line, melody, etc.

Or you run the risk of making worhtless throwaway music - and nobody wants that......

Back
Top Bottom