D&B is somethin u have to be involved in to stay interested..

Discussion in 'Drum & Bass' started by DJ Lordward, Jan 29, 2005.

1. DJ Lordward

DJ Lordward T.D.P.

Just fancied sparking off a debate. One of the things I luv about d&b is how it brings ppl together, u can play your part in the scene & meet up with mates to have a rinse (or mix whatever u wana call it).

Theres something Iv noticed at the nights we run: most of the people that turn up are the MCs or the DJs, we dont get that many ravers that just like the music. It maybe just because our nights are so small its just the way it is. People seem to find it hard to enjoy the music unless they MC or DJ (due to the nature of the music being beatz & not songs), so you end up with loads of wanabe MCs & DJs & then just rudeboys & pill-heads.
    Its a shame there arent more people that just like the music for what it is & dont feel the need to DJ or MC (altho quite a few of my mates are just ravers).

Are the number of ravers declining?
    Do u have to be involved in the music in some way to stay interested in it?
    [Bearing in mind I'm only 18, it may have been like this for years, but its something Iv only just noticed]
    Discuss!
    Peace

2. V Matt

V Matt Member

Don't think so, I've been listening to jungle for over 10 years without getting bored of it and I don't DJ or produce or anything (y)

But I know what you means, sometimes it seems like I'm the only person who doesn't

3. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

That sounds really weird. Jungle is dance music.

:rave:

Its meant for people to jump up and down on the floor till they exhaust themselves, not for the MC and DJ to nod their heads to while smoking a reefer or to listen in your car with your mates arguing whether Tech Itch or Klute is better.

If there aren't people on the floor - you may be doing something wrong.

If the DJs and MCs are the only ones having fun - you may be doing something wrong.

Ask the people on the floor what they want to hear and make sure the DJ is playing for them - not for himself.

Try different beats. Ain't nothing sadder than a banging tune to an empty floor. Hell, drop jumpup, that'll get people dancing.

4. Critical

Critical Member

was like that when our local night started, its been going about a year now and word has spread. the last six months or so have been steadily growing in numbers.

just takes time and persistance

Interesting question though, iguess all the people i know that are into d&B are involved in some way maybe it just kind of drags you in

5. Spor

Spor Member

Personally I think it's a characteristic of an underground genre, to an extent it's run by fans - there's no giant corporation controlling a universal commercial machine. The DJs are the producers, they're there at the events, in the clubs, online. I think it's always been one of the attractions, the fact that you can directly interact and participate in a scene you care about.
    Whether this means there are no true just-here-for-the-music fans I don't know, although I for one know a fair amount of people who fit this category. Even if there weren't, you can't deny that there are numerous people out there enjoying the music, and as long as it's all positive contribution - where's the harm?

6. mISHKA

mISHKA Member

'cos everyone thinks they have the best beats!! :D

7. deadaelus

deadaelus Laughter in the Slaughter

Stated in the first few by Spor, is the only fact to consider. Dnb is a scene that owns, operates, and perpetuates its own existence. Getting involved with people who put the scene in motion is enough to keep me rolling in the drag winds.

8. xen

xen ...innit

I may be a little different compared to others, but I got into dnb before I ever had aspirations of DJing it. The DJing thing was a separate interest, I'd always wanted to try it out regardless - suppose that's the curious musician in me. What really got me into dnb was the complexity of the beats, the excitement in the music compared to other genres of dance music! Trance music is the only other style of dance music that I can listen to for more than 10 minutes - the real arpeggioed stuff, uplifting trance. Fantastic stuff. I get the same feeling from dnb, except it's any type of dnb. It's music that moooooooves you.

I guess the dnb scene is predominantly DJ- and MC-based for the sole reason that they know the most about what's going on! You're always going to have x amount of people who think "hell, that looks well good being able to get a crowd moving like that" - and I say let that continue, because if people have a passion for the music, they'll stay interested in it regardless of whether they ever actually start DJing or just remain an avid listener. The Internet has definitely improved the situation of non-DJ listeners. More mainstream dnb radio shows are also bringing the music to an increasing amount of people worldwide, and that's (gotta be) a good thing.

Plus also I think the fairly distilled nature of Drum & Bass, compared to Hiphop/R&B / Dance/House music, is bound to predicate a fairly higher-than-average ratio of DJs to 'normal' ;) people who listen to the music. Lots of my dnb-listening mates are just into dnb cause of the way it sounds and rolls, and have no interest in becoming a DJ. A couple of them who DO want to be DJs certainly give it a go (one of them is HEINOUSLY awful at it) - but if they're still buying vinyl to give it a go, fair play to them, more money to the producers to keep this whole darned thing going, and it's always fun to watch them trainwrecking. :D

9. zoob

zoob Nine Bar SS.

I'll be honest. Im bored of it.

It doesn't grab me anymore, i find it too 'uncreative'.

Breakneck is my first 'legal' event that i've hit in a few months. I was expecting a dashing of fresh d'n'b that will make me think, 'hmm this is alright'.

I didn't get it.

The mixing was bo, the tunes were, better produced granted as technology moves another step forward but overall, i thought, they weren't that much different.

I've found since been more 'deeply' involved in the actual organisation, that i've moved away from D'n'b.

Providing the sound for various events has broaded my music love, also the parties, with what can be described as easily the most diverse and downright weird selection of tunes you can imagine

( we were banging out hard acid techno with "YMCA" last week, trust me, they fucking loved it :D )

I basically find D'n'b a bit shit now.

This was brought home finally for me on friday, with a perfect example of geighness in the Pro D'n'b scene.

Our scene is not a big scene, its relatively tiny in actual vinyl sales.
    So it really saddens me when the big name turns up on the friday, and has a real " Grooverider is radio one so we're big time, we can demand MASSIVE wages and act better than you all"

which is EXACTLY, how he acted.

I've made this comparasion already, but you then get SDM on afterwards, safe as fuck, lovely bloke, had a level of professionalism ( refused the j-ski), and was just downright approachable ( he told me what he was going to play next for example)

Randall was totally un-approachable, he didn't seem like he wanted to be there, that was confirmed when he was out the door 5 seconds after he played it seemed.

I just got no time for this BIG TIME attitude that alot of the heads have adopted, theres no fucking need.

You take the techno scene, and names such as Chris Liberator.

That man is a legend, in his own right, a living fucking legend, MASSIVE.

but hes the nicest geezer you will ever meet. The MASS majority of them are in that scene, they don't get big heads, and they are a pleasure to work with. They know the scene evolved from the underground and they still respect that and don't act like the daddies.

The drum 'n' bass scene seems to have forgotten that.

Very Sad.

Dustek likes this.
  10. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

Sounds like me. :gaywhite:

11. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

I don't think you have to be involved with dnb to enjoy it.

I really do think that there is something seriously wrong if only the djs and mcs are turning up for gigs. That means your scene is dying.

Or that you really have to educate your local scene slowly. A thing to consider is that the hard and fast end of dnb is utterly inaccesible to people used to garage, house or gentler forms of dance music. Sounds like freaked out shit (gabber) at first in fact.

Generally though dnb does seem to get people very passionate about it and when they get passionate, they want to get involved. Many people start playing it (coz they want to make people freak) or organizing parties (coz nobody else is organizing them) after listening and dancing for a while.

I can barely go to a gig nowadays without wishing I was on the decks myself...

This is in comparison to house where the scene seems to be split between pilled up ravers in it for the PLUR and coked up djs in it for the money.

12. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

A Guy Called Gerald - nicest dj I've ever met. And he still plays jungle. Not really part of the scene though.

13. V Matt

V Matt Member

To be fair to Randall he did have to be back in London for another set later

And for every person who often comes across as a cock like Grooverider or Det there are plenty of people who are massive names but always take the time out for a chat if they can (y)

Can't really expect everyone to be nice and friendly, life isn't like that

14. zoob

zoob Nine Bar SS.

Thats true.
    I'f i were to pay that sort of pricing structure for a DJ though, i would feel there should be a certain level of 'customer service'. You may laugh at that, but i think they should have a certain level of 'professionalism' about them, especially for that degree of cash. They shouldn't really be prima donna's. They certainly shouldn't dictate the formula of your own event ( i.e. no mc's) when you are paying them.

But yes, there are many sides to human nature, not everyone is a cunt.

15. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

Professional they should always be.

Friendly - everybody's human and if they're courteous that's enough.

Paying a good dj doesn't make them your bitch. They're artists, not your wedding cd spinner.

16. zoob

zoob Nine Bar SS.

They are paying records at your event, and because they are, you are paying them a massive massive hourly wage.

I would expect some interaction and allowances made.

17. skope

skope promoti0nal.douchbag

hmmm. i dont think you can say that about techno. granted the more 'acid'/suf dj's are extremely friendly (from what i've experienced) and dont ask much, but the general techno dj's (who we booked regularly when we had a techno room) were some of the rudest, self obsessed, greedy people i have ever had the displeasure of meeting. all had huge riders, with drink spec's, hotel's, drivers and fee's far above what i feel they deserve. d&b on the other hand doesnt have any of this, much lower fee's and very rarely anyone wanting a rider. also MOST i have met have been thoroughly professional and friendly to the end.

18. zoob

zoob Nine Bar SS.

Totally forgot you regularly had the techno room until last year. I used to really enjoy that.

TBH, im basing my viewpoint on the Acid/SUF Dj's, as they all came from the underground scene, and still know where their roots lie. And respect that.

D'n'b isn't a mass commerical scene, it didn't quite have the same underground status as acid techno mainly heard on the london squat circuit but it still isn't exactly mainstream, and does have a big pirate background.

19. V Matt

V Matt Member

I guess in most established dance music scenes whether it's house, techno, dnb or whatever a lot of the biggest names have been DJing at least 15-20 years, I expect most of them do see it as just a job these days, hence the moodyness, demands etc. I bet half of them would give it all up if it wasn't for the fact that it's so well paid.

20. zoob

zoob Nine Bar SS.

yep yep yep, i can appreciate this viewpoint.

Lost The Love.