D&B ....but with a twist ...

Sonus

Guys...and Girls....

As im sure many of you have had before, i am in a situation where by i need to give a presentation on a Wednesday lecture about dance music which experiment with Time

ill give you an example, the 1980's Little Lois track "French Kiss",

Basically im wondering if anyone knows any DnB that has a 3/4 time signature or if it slows up/down or that skips a beat etc etc

Would be a great help lads!

William

ur unlikely to fund any tunes that aren't 4/4, it's been designed to mix...

there's a few tunes that change speed or have an odd breakdown, DNA by Ed rush & Optical, Chainsaw by Fresh and wot ever's on the flip of the latest pacman remix

Quarks and ghetto blaster have dubsteps breakdown if thats any help, Timewarp is 12/8, i didnt believe but was swayed over by somebody with high musical knowledge

Theres a sparfunk tune with a long build up gradually increasing in tempo, cant for the life of me remember the name. Dont think there are many 3/4 tunes out there though really.

Theres a sparfunk tune with a long build up gradually increasing in tempo, cant for the life of me remember the name. Dont think there are many 3/4 tunes out there though really.
Sparfunk - 'The Rapture' I think mate , Sparfunk AND Shimon ' Snake Charmer' has a dodgy breakdown, sort of hip hop if i remember right

check out dj suv - e.p. and his other tunes around 1998
parklands was a tune i rememer
his tunes were like 3beat or whatever they tried calling it
never took off because it was too hard to mix and make sound good
and no one else were making tunes in this fashion

if you mean tunes that have tempo changes then
Drumsound & Bassline Smith - Meat Cake
Dirtyphonics - Quarks/Bonus Level
Lifted Crew - Levitate
Venganze - Puto Psycho

timewarp, body rock, french fuck (dirty phonics) are all 12/8

this is a time signature that allows each of the 4 beats in a bar to be split into 3rds themselves giving a triplet and bouncy feel. 3/4 tunes wudn't work in dance music but as dnb is very fast and 12/8 works just as good and as it is still essential 4 beats in a bar then it can be beat matched with anything else of the same tempo (altho with breakbeat music like drum and bass the off beats will clash if ur mixing 4/4 breaks with 12/8 altho this can be resolved in some cases with some clever eqing.

12/8 has become a very popular and fashionable time signature in dnb with timewarp, french kiss, space zombies, hovercraft, smash tv, invaders must die rmx, subfocus new and amazing tune, etc.... all adapting the use to fit their own styles. altho bodyrock pioneered the idea way ahead of its time and became a top 40 single!

in ur presentation use timewarp as an example and say how the entire track is in 12/8 but when it says "time is changing" the song then switches to 4/4 giving a powerful effect... or sum bullshit.

also danny byrd's weird science is just one of many tunes that switch tempo within the track.

also quarks, midnight request line (zinc remix) or any other zinc dubstep/dnb hybrid tune uses the half tempo of dnb to create a dubstep stepper effect and quarks slows down to actual dubstep in the middle.

ur presentation shud be niiiice!

Last edited:
Dirty Phonics - b side to french fuck (bonus level?) on the second break it breaks to a slower more breaks style speed than speeds back up.

Back
Top Bottom