Cyberex - Zeratul

use [ soundcloud ] soundcloud.com/link [ / soundcloud ] to embed tracks (without the spaces)

lots of interesting stuff going on, need to get things tighter and mixed down better, all a bit muddy atm, drums are too weak and far back in the mix, nice start tho

Intro sounds are sick! The drums are a little weak, especially the snare, that one can have more punchyness. :D
The bass sounds are pretty cool, very special bass sound. But it could be more distorted and dark when I compare it to the vocals you used.

i agree with the comments made...
snare needs more snap/punch
mix down sounds ok but a lil more tighter n the sounds will really cut through the mix nicely
maybe a lil more sub bass? or a slight boost around 20hz for ur bass?

proper pill popping tune tho lol

Yeah it's better now, but I still think the bass needs some more work.
Next to that, great tune!

first impression is the mixdown is generally weak on drums and probably the drum sounds are not very interesting and sound a bit flat resulting in no impact when track drops. Cool intro but not a fan of the mid bass starting at 30s, like the deep bass though

well i really don't know how to do the mixdown ..i know that drums should be 0 db , bass -10db , and perc. -20 or smthing like that ..but again i really don't know this very well :) if you can explain it would be great :) 10x

thats a bit technical for me :0 Try to a published track that you think is similar to yours, then listen to yours, try to reference the levels of the various parts of the noise in the released track, then with yours try to replicate.

well i really don't know how to do the mixdown ..i know that drums should be 0 db , bass -10db , and perc. -20 or smthing like that ..but again i really don't know this very well :) if you can explain it would be great :) 10x

forget about numbers, you dont want anything peaking at 0db, need to give yourself some headroom

as long as all the sounds are clear, drums are punchy, bass is tight, the mixdown should be ok, if you want to get an idea of the spectral curve, load up a few released tracks into your DAW and see how they show up, BUT, they wll be mastered, and even after many years its pretty damn hard to get a mixdown that perfect. I aim for a nice gentle slope from 0hz to 20khz of about 12-18db, I rarely manage it lol but thats why we have mastering engineers.

my mix down "guide" is just a guide..nothing in music is ever the same in different tracks..
the way ive recently learnt how to do it is as follows (bear in mind ive kept it simple cuz i cba to write a proper guide :P):

- keep the master volume at 0db, you want to track to peak around -6db fully mixed sounding how you want (just a little quieter), so when you master it all u need 2 do is 'make it loud'.
louder music sounds more exciting to our ears, so keep it at a decent vol - if it sounds good low, itll sound better loud ;)

- you should have a completed track in terms of arrangement and composition, minor changes can be made later but the majority at least should be finished

- start with the kick n the sub, the base of most electronic music. Solo them.
Sub normally ranges from 0hz - 60hz, add a low pass filter to tighten it a lil.
The kick should peak around 100hz with the low end cut until around 60hz to allow room for the sub.

- then solo the snare, which should peak around 200hz, add a little boost around 2khz for some brightness and again cut the low end, probably until around 100hz
you have layered snares in which case the 'low' snare should be cut much less than the 'high' one.

- remember to adjust your volume levels for the tracks, always making sure you're not peak over -6db, sometimes a lil volume control is all thats needed.
less is more is music, so dont go overboard in cuts and boost and volume changes.

- next is the lead i.e. main synth or vocals...u want this to stand out in the track as it is the main lead..add a slight boost around the 2khz for the brightness and a high pass filter so as to not get in the way of the low end stuff.

- now you should have the main ingredients of your track sounding tight and prominant, so its just about adding the rest of your percussion, sound effects and pads n shiz.

- percussion can be panned slightly to allow for extra headroom.

- remember even hi hats and cymbal come with lil low freqs, so high pass filter everything! you dont want your sub sounding muddy and weak.

lil tweaks n shiz after that n uve got a pretty decent mix down!

hope this helps some1!! :)

Whoa :d 10x a lot djdevz . I really appreciate this !! i will try and mixdown my tune and get back to you guys !!
Cheers man !

Back
Top Bottom