Cutting dubs of released tracks not available on vinyl

mental marv

Can anyone shed some light on the legalities of cutting dubs of officially released tunes say on cd or mp3 only..?

Is there anything to stop me doing it legally or morally for that matter..?

I mean financially its not justifiable cutting every track on to dub but for the odd one or two that have/will never be pressed on vinyl format its wouldnt be too bad..

Any info appreciated....

Chars

Marv

mate if its been released i dont see the problem at all, you've paid for the priviledge of having that tune. n if you're prepared to pay even more to have it cut i would see that as a compliment to the artist and label tbh

---------- Post added at 09:44 ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 ----------

but if you wanted to make sure then u can always contact the label who released it.

aslong as ur not plannin on sellin the vinyl id say its fine
but i dont really know

There's no legalities about it at all, it's exactly the same as burning a tune to CD.

they wont actually cut the mp3, the likes of Andy C will be sent masters made for cutting. As a vinyl master is very different to a digital master or so i've been told anyway

i think that everything under a certain frequency (bass) on vinyl needs to be made mono for some reason.

althought why anybody would burn an mp3 instead of a WAV i have no idea

some cutting studios will vinyl master an MP3 for you.

True. Finyl Tweek do that

I'm sure most cutting houses will cut you a dub from a 320 mp3. Their job is to just get the best sound quality possible out of what they've been given. Yeah WAV's might be better to use but not everyone has them

i think that everything under a certain frequency (bass) on vinyl needs to be made mono for some reason.

althought why anybody would burn an mp3 instead of a WAV i have no idea

Other wise it will wobble the needle and cause it to jump. This is why bass should be mixed straight down the middle.

Back
Top Bottom