currently all vinyl.. wanting to make the switch? advice?

EvezDroppin

VIP Junglist
this is my dilemma...

As the title says have been all vinyl for quite some time now so have alot of vinyl.... but i realised now is the time to switch over to digital.

What I can't decide though is do i get serato/traktor.... or just commit and go straight to cdjs?

Can you convert your vinyl to wav/mp3 while retaining god quality? because even to replace all my vinyl with mp3s I buy is going to cost so much money o_O

i went the other way, from vdj (god save us all) to cdjs and ive never looked back, and now want one vinyl to join in for shits and giggles. when i occasionally jump back on my controller i hate it.

and yes you can rip from vinyl to wav (or mp3 :( )

Depends, if you're playing out alot I would go with CD's. If its just for mixing at home I would go for a DVS (not much difference between Traktor and Serato)

If its a combination of both I would get a DVS and use it for practicing, then use CD's out.

ripping from vinyl doesnt always sound great imo, there would be no point ripping to WAV as you wouldnt get great quality.

Just my 2 cents :)

you can convert your vinyl to mp3.
the quality isn't as good imo but up the gain and it will be fine (subject to criticality)

i'd recomend getting good quality elliptical needle just for recording.
depening on what carts you have, you might be able to get a stylus that fits directly into your existing cartridge.

get a dvs then you can still play your vinyl when you need too.

teddy, recommend a good ellipsis needle? i could do with one and i trust your opinion over google

j, im not sure to be honest buddy. ive only ever bagged one of them as they are pretty poor for cueing. only use for recording personally.
i just got one that had good stats and fittied into my existing cartridge.

what are carts/stylus you currently using? i'll try and source a good one for you that fits

if they dont do any that fit you'll need to get a stylus and cartridge. If thats the case i'd recomend getting another headshell also so you don't have to fuck about installing a new cart each time, just unscrew replace your headshell.

Definately recomend going down the serato/traktor route.

Saves a tonne of money and still let's you keep the wheels of steel.

Depends, if you're playing out alot I would go with CD's. If its just for mixing at home I would go for a DVS (not much difference between Traktor and Serato)

If its a combination of both I would get a DVS and use it for practicing, then use CD's out.

fully agreed with this one, learnt on mainly CDJs and a mixture of vinyl, now have sold my CDJs to have technics and traktor, a set up i have much more fun with but when i play out its always on CDJs so knowing your way around them is important (but not hard)

yeah I'm leaning towards traktor/serato. i can use cdj's and have done for playing out but prefer the feel of vinyl..... just wish u didnt need laptop etc set up with traktor

i started off with vinyl ( 2x1210's) then got a cd1000mk2 just for digi only releases/when i couldnt afford to cop new bits on vinyl. few weeks ago got a cdj800mk2 so at the minute im rolling with all 4 for the time being. Dont see why people think you have to stick to one medium, i regularly play out and use both :)

yeah you can, you change the input to live, or you can just use a turntable that is not connected to the traktor audio card.

Need to have the power plugged in though and apparently you have to fiddle around with the settings. Bought Traktor A6 the other day just need Mistanoize to sort out my technics then I'll be spinnin ;)

Need to have the power plugged in though and apparently you have to fiddle around with the settings. Bought Traktor A6 the other day just need Mistanoize to sort out my technics then I'll be spinnin ;)

yeah, you just select live input in the main traktor interface, not difficult at all, plus then that way if your recording a mix through the program, it will still record the tunes you play off wax, which is a touch.

Back
Top Bottom