Culture Shock: Sampled or Self Made?

Loving the replies guys, but I'm getting the idea a lot of people think I'm talk about his use of synths for bass sounds. I'm talking about his use of synths for those 80's sounds, like the one that comes on 0:21 on this vid. Keep up the Culture Shock love :D

Last edited by a moderator:
dont know really how you could think culture shocks sounds are sampled. there sounding so much like a synthesizer, its unreal.

maybe im missing something (quite possible) but i dont know how anyone can claim to hear whether a bass sound was originally a sample, or created using a synth.

synth method - make a sound with oscillators, process with effects, re sample....

sample method - take already made sound, process with effects, re sample....

its genuine question, how can you tell by ear, whether they have synthesized a sound, or re sampled an existing sound.

maybe im missing something (quite possible) but i dont know how anyone can claim to hear whether a bass sound was originally a sample, or created using a synth.

synth method - make a sound with oscillators, process with effects, re sample....

sample method - take already made sound, process with effects, re sample....

its genuine question, how can you tell by ear, whether they have synthesized a sound, or re sampled an existing sound.

you cant REALLY hear. but culture shocks sounds sound like they were ONLY made for the very purpose they are fulfilling - if you get what i mean.

it just doesnt really sound like samples. hes always on that same vibe with quite his own sounds - and i for once would be VERY surprised if he gets that coherent sound out of different samples from different sources each time ... just sounds wrong to me.

Culture Shock produces amazing tunes, and works with everyone of them like it's his own child. This is mainly why City Lights, Piano Thing, I Remember and countless other tracks aren't released cause James gets into the tracks and only releases them when he considers them done.

Andy C has said something along those lines i.e. 'I'd love to release a Culture Shock album - he's just too lazy to finish anything' or something

I don't think it is that Culture Shock is lazy, I just think he is one of the biggest perfectionists in the scene. And that is also why I have yet to see an average release from him.

I don't think it is that Culture Shock is lazy, I just think he is one of the biggest perfectionists in the scene. And that is also why I have yet to see an average release from him.

Agreed. He's smart with his music and he's a perfectionist. I mean, Machine ended up losing the orchestral buildup to the second drop and it still sounds deece (even if it's a loop)

Anyone who regards his production or tunes as average is clearly fucking deaf

Listen to Protection, I Remember and City Lights. Work out how wrong you are. Punch self in face

That is all

personally i really rate culture shock but probably more his earlier stuff like the third stage ep and kronix more than say protection or ohrwurm. having said that i remmeber is really good and city lights i would say was one of his best tunes by far so im disapointed that these have yet to be released. does anyone know if they will be?

on the subject of whether he uses sample or synths for his bases seems entirely irrelevant to me. even if you come to a conclusion by the end of this discusssion, how in any way is that going to improve your life. the sound source isn't what makes you go mental, whether its a an analog voltage controlled oscillating waveform or a sampled wave of sound it's how it is used. sorry to be a bit overlly blunt but it ditracts from the music imo. the chances are like most producers he uses a mixture of both, having said that if i had to guess i would say that he probably uses synths for most of his sounds as like most dance music his is very synth heavy and the sounds he uses express a love for synthesis... however there is no way to tell just from listening so this is pointless.

that is all x

Culture shock and Spor are on a different planet!! Closely followed by Break

Ive heard most of his patches are made after various trips to the moon where he hypothesizes various dreamscapes with a wizard..and Jimmy Hendrix

He pushes the boundaries in drum and bass, and makes tunes that are impossible not to groove too.

Best producer in drum and bass by far

I suspect its self made, synths these days are so powerful there's not really any need to sample another synth for a sound.

Back
Top Bottom