Culture Shock - City Lights

I really don't understand the loudness thing, just turn up the gain ffs (y) The master is absolutely peng-a-leng, Beau knows his shizzle obvs!

I really don't understand the loudness thing, just turn up the gain ffs (y) The master is absolutely peng-a-leng, Beau knows his shizzle obvs!

Have you got the vinyl? When it is about 6-12db below every other tune it is a pisstake. I'm not sure Beau has been doing their stuff of late which is why I think the quality has dropped. Pretty shoddy and very dissapointing from such a big label to keep releasing shit pressings, it's like no-one bothered to listen to the test presses.

Last edited:
Have you got the vinyl? When it is about 6-12db below every other tune it is a pisstake. I'm not sure Beau has been doing their stuff of late which is why I think the quality has dropped. Pretty shoddy and very dissapointing from such a big label to keep releasing shit pressings, it's like no-one bothered to listen to the test presses.
Yeah I've got it and just gain checked it before mixing it like I do every other tune. I kinda see your point but 6-12 is a massive difference, it's either one or the other but still, it makes no difference imo, it's still as loud as everything else relatively speaking.

This was a common thing with the Program releases. Not necessarily volume issues, but certainly myself and @hyperd4eva have mentioned issues we have had in the past that has put us off buying from them.

Yeah I've got it and just gain checked it before mixing it like I do every other tune. I kinda see your point but 6-12 is a massive difference, it's either one or the other but still, it makes no difference imo, it's still as loud as everything else relatively speaking.

That was off the top of my head as it was last night that I played it for the first time.

This was a common thing with the Program releases. Not necessarily volume issues, but certainly myself and @hyperd4eva have mentioned issues we have had in the past that has put us off buying from them.

Yeh man I remember seeing that, weren't they warped or something?

Yeh man I remember seeing that, weren't they warped or something?

Yea, copy of You Do Me Wrong and a few others I can't remember. One I turned into an ashtray out of anger so I guess its being more useful now anyway!
The volume issues I haven't seen with the RAM/Program releases but certainly has happened with others. Garden remix on 12" is really quiet as well. Whether its to do with the mastering or not, unsure..

Yea, copy of You Do Me Wrong and a few others I can't remember. One I turned into an ashtray out of anger so I guess its being more useful now anyway!
The volume issues I haven't seen with the RAM/Program releases but certainly has happened with others. Garden remix on 12" is really quiet as well. Whether its to do with the mastering or not, unsure..

yep garden remix is quiet for me too.. also i am acertain that every program release following the frankee and basher one was bowled to fuck causing one side to be flimsy. I took it up with RAM and they said there was no issues..

needless to say stopped buying program releases. the main RAM releases seemed fine though..

How did you turn it into an ash tray? got a photo?

How did you turn it into an ash tray? got a photo?

Oven - use a bowl and a baking tray. I know people that have done it using lighters which is fucking long...but you can mould it anyway you like I guess doing it that way. It's plastic after all so only needs a certain amount of heat before you can remould it

was what I used as a guide, there is other ones out there too. Will grab a photo when I'm next at home

What did you use to block the centre hole and does the ash melt it at all? Got some old shitty records that I can use to do this in my new yard

What did you use to block the centre hole and does the ash melt it at all? Got some old shitty records that I can use to do this in my new yard

I stuck a penny to the underside of mine when cooled.

The ash doesn't burn it, but I wouldn't recommend resting a ciggie or doob in there, obvious meltings could well be obvious.

I need to actually remove it from my parents place and move it to mine. Probably gathering dust with the rest of my things at the moment.

the loudness thing is terrible with vinyl - even if you have time to skip forward to get a gauge on the volume difference (or put a big TURN UP! sticker on the label), when you drop the bass in it is NEVER at the right level, so makes the mix sound average. The 2 tune a side releases at 33rpm have been doing my head in recently - like I said with the Reso LP, I am not even bothering to put it in my bag now because its so flat and quiet its just not worth the pain of trying to get it to sound good in the mix.

with the fragile vinyl market I am really surprised the big labels like Ram and Hospital are failing at this part of the product - you want the tunes as loud (within reason) and as crisp as possible on vinyl, which I thought would be a very important part of the process. Even if they think less and less DJ's are buying and playing them you want that for home listeners anyway. Its a shame to hear some of you above are flagging the Program releases due to the cupping problem - I have had that too but luckily I have my oven-flattening method sorted to correct any issues like that

(edit: not all 33's have been bad I forgot to say - Skeptical's Imperial EP is decent, the Dispatch tunes at 33 are OK and the Soul:R stuff at 33 is alright. Not great, but manageable)

I'm not in the country atm so can't check again but I'm almost 100% sure that's not the case with this one. Haven't heard the reso lp but I doubt it's 'so flat', probably some weirdo placebo effect going on I recon. I could be completely wrong tho. I got the Enei Lp on 33 and when turned up it sounds absolutely banging.

(edit: not all 33's have been bad I forgot to say - Skeptical's Imperial EP is decent, the Dispatch tunes at 33 are OK and the Soul:R stuff at 33 is alright. Not great, but manageable)

If you didn't know that the skeptical or soulr bits were 33 rpm, and I played them back to you without adjusting the gain, you would hardly hear the difference. I rate myself as a bit of an audiophile and I think the ones you have mentioned all sound amazing. I can't notice anything missing due to the fact they're played at 33.

And for that reason I'm grateful more labels are following suit and pressing 3or 4 on a plate. More on wax for me!

If you didn't know that the skeptical or soulr bits were 33 rpm, and I played them back to you without adjusting the gain, you would hardly hear the difference. I rate myself as a bit of an audiophile and I think the ones you have mentioned all sound amazing. I can't notice anything missing due to the fact they're played at 33.

And for that reason I'm grateful more labels are following suit and pressing 3or 4 on a plate. More on wax for me!
yeah that's what I meant - those ones are OK (would be better at 45 but not a huge difference). The sound quality is OK on them too. In the club played really loud is where those small differences start to get magnified, however....

If you have the Reso LP try that and see what you think ;)

The reason te Skeptical bits sound fine compared the the other that have been mentioned is probably because he hasn't limited the tune to fuck before sending it to the master engineer

Back
Top Bottom