Culture Shock - City Lights

not sure whether I like the Dub version better or not...its got that high-pitched twangy noise which is kinda cool, but the rest sounds virtually the same from what I can hear....

I ended up grabbing the dub...won't get the full 12" as don't play tunes with vocals like that much, so figured it wasn't much more to get the rarer, vinyl-only version for a point of difference

Can't quite believe Ram actually put out the original mix of this in the end (although non vinyl heads might be slightly pissed).

Definitely made the best of the release in the end, and for me the tune still sounds fresh, but also with a hint of nostalgia to those old Andy C sets where this tune first came about all those years ago, good times!

Can't quite believe there's still copies left. Bagged mine a few days back and they're still available. Either people are no longer arsed or the 'extremely limited edition' was pressed 2000 times.

What a shit move from RAM...

This is what happens when Ram plans something big...

Bit harsh but yeah, this and the Bensley album have been pretty poorly handled. Overhyped and dragged out far too long. I think they need to realise that a lot of people — probably most people — don't care that much.

I don't think they could have really done much better with this release in the end?

I'm sure if Culture Shock was happy with the tune it would have come out years ago, but he probably wasn't so it was sat on for a while, which is entirely his choice as a producer and out of Ram's hands at this point really, but he / they have obviously come back to it, freshened it up for the modern market with a vocal, but still released a new instrumental alongside a couple of remixes, and even put out the original mix on vinyl for the heads.

I think apart from the original dub not being released digitally which might deprive some people of it who would have liked it (although still creating an air of exclusivity which as a vinyl head I'm all for), I don't really think you can criticise them for much else?

I think when people start talking about tunes being overhyped by a label, surely it's 100% the job of the label to hype it up as much as possible, if you find yourself to be disappointed in the end then that's your problem, but they've clearly done their job because you know the tune before it's released and you've bothered to listen to it when it's released.

I hate the talk of marketing around drum and bass as much as anyone but you can't argue that's not job done from their point of view.

To be honest I'm just fucking ecstatic they released the original in the end, could have so so easily just said fuck it and not.

Received mine today, the pressing is so damn quiet! Teddy Killerz Teddynator/Endlessly is silly quiet too, sort it out Ram!

Back
Top Bottom