CUBASE vs LOGIC vs FL

ive not used logic or newer versions of cubase but i know for a fact FL is the best... cos i use it ;)

Logic and Cubase are the two mainly used sequencers in Drum and Bass. They both have their individual merits. The main one for me is Cubase is better for working with audio - which is how myself and the majority of DnB producers are going these days. It also has an excellent timestretching function that makes editing audio easier. I'm a Logic man which is top of its game to be fair - however i wish Logic had the option to view the waveform of the peice of audio so it would make processing alot easier - as Cubase does. Especially when you are layering drums and to want to compare the waveforms of the seperate hits to know where to place them to get the best combined sounding hit and that the waveforms are not sitting directly on top of each other so your drum hits sound bigger.
Apart from that i find the new version of Logic (Logic Studio) is fucking awesome and does everything i need it to and more!
I suppose it also boils down to whether you are Mac or a PC man??
With the price of Logic coming down in price now alot of people are switching from PC to Mac's because they are a much more solid and professional platform to work from. They are renown for them being the industry standard for professional music production and design for years. (kind of like the 1210 is to DJs). I think people also loved getting cracked software on the PC which is harder to get on MAC and found Logic originally too expensive at £700+. Now at around £300 you get much more value. Also, from my experience PC's tend to crash alot were as i've had 70 tracks running on my MAC before and it hasn't even broken a sweat.
Reason is ok - a bit dated now in my opinion compared to what s on the market now. Most of the top producers who use it still will only use Reason these days to create a synth patch or a break then export in into a main sequencer like Logic or Cubase and arrange the tune there.
I can't comment on F.Loops as i've not used it.
Cubase and Logic are both excellent in their own right but if you can stretch to getting one of the new MAC's with Logic you wont ever look back. ]
I work in the studio with DJ Fresh and he mainly uses Logic, however he also uses Nuendo, and Ableton too......The flash git! But Dan Fresh is a legend and there's not much he can't do in the studio.
Appologies for the speech but i'm a passionate Mo' Fo' when i get going! LOL

logic, cos the only reason i prefered cubase was for the previously mentioned timestretch, logic 8 has stolen this, so its all about logic. but it does come down to personal preference

Logic all the way, FL is a kids toy. cubase is alright, pretty good for audio, but the new logic 8 is pretty fucking good at it as well, of course they both time stretch

USE LOGIC ................ its fucken LOGIC

I'd like to use cubase but it seems to lag on my computer. I use fruity loops and rewire with reason, but thats only until i get a midi.. then it will be reason all the way :D

here we go again. so I'm saying it again... it doesn't matter. it's all about you having the capacity to get the most out of these sequencers since workflow is what counts.
the program that works best for you to get in a fast and fun way your sounds down is the best program. so shop around but don't buy into the old 'this one is better because I use it and look at me' crap. good luck!

All professional studios use either Pro Tools, Logik or Cubase.

Reason, FL and all those low end seqencers are just learning tools really, they run on shit sound engines and are extremely limited in what you can do.

Personally i use Cubase but will be upgrading to Pro Tools HD in 09.

Last edited:
Its a well knowm fact in the mastering insudtry that Reason and FL dont have very good sonic reproduction, hence why they arent used by professional producers..

I have mastered with some of the countrys top masterers including Beau @ Heathmans who masters most of the top Drum & Bass labels and again whenever he masteres a track produced on a low end sequencer he can tell the difference a mile off...

I say stick to the best, they are the best for a reason.

Back
Top Bottom