Cubase screw up...

JamesZero

aka Zero Beats
VIP Junglist
Right, I have managed to screw my Cubase install right up!

I have just upgraded to Windows 7 64Bit, I installed Cubase 5 from fresh and also installed a few VST's. I noticed that when I opened Cubase it didn't see all of my VSTs (missing things like Massive, and Kontakt). I assumed that this was because 64Bit systems have 2 program files folders and maybe Cubase is looking in the wrong place...

After a short bit of fiddling I had most of it down, but still missing a couple. I thought fuck it I might as well just set "C:\" as one of the VST directorys and see what it finds... well on looking the software crashed.

Now every time I open Cubase it trys searching the entire C drive for VSTs and crashes, so it wont open at all anymore! I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it but it seems to have retained it's settings so still crashes.

Is there anyway I can start it in "safe mode" so it wont load VST's and I can get into the settings? Or is there anyway of deleted the saved preferences from the registry if I uninstall it?

Cheers guys

im not sure with windows 7. but have u tried completely deleting the cubase folder after it has been uninstalled and check in the application data folder and delete any cubase folders in there. then reinstall it and hopefully your settings have been removed. if not then it will be something in the registry of ur pc that means the default setting for cubase is the wrong one. however this is way beyond my technical knowlege of computers lol

I'm going to give it another uninstall tonight and have a dig round to see what I can find. If I can't sort it out and no one here knows then I might just format and start again, it's pretty much a fresh install anyway!

Cheers for the help guys.

Yeah I'd suggest doing what Freek mentioned. After uninstalling the program, root around your C drive files and see if there's a file for cubase. Uninstalling the program will quite literally just uninstall the program, it can leave files scattered over your PC when it unpacks itself. Look for folders with the Steinberg name on them, delete them, then try re-installing it.

If that doesnt work, you may have to open your registry, but I wouldnt suggest doing that unless you really know what you're doing!

My mate uses cubase 5.1 on his Windows 7
I use it on XP
He seems to be encountering far too many problems than myself
Just back date to the used, abused and safer option ;)
Another friend uses Vista which is in some respects in the middle of them both
Maybe its because 7 is still relatively new and undiscovered world?!

i'll make sure i never do that.

Try asking on the steinberg forums, they'll hook you up for sure there's gotta be an easyer option than formatting

Got it sorted thanks guys...

I uninstalled it again, then did a search for "Cubase" on the whole hard drive and deleted anything it found, then did the same for "steinberg". Then opened up the registry and did the same thing in there. Reinstalled and it booted up find.

Still having a couple of VST finding issues, but at least I wont make that stupid mistake again!

Back
Top Bottom