DnB Crisp hi hats

jakeshiftzw

Shiftz
Just wondering how Original Sin and Sub zero get the hats sounding this crisp? What do they do? I normally hi-pass my hats at about 600hz onwards, and enhance 'em at around the 5000khz - 8000khz, and sometimes add a small bit of distortion but i still cant get that crips 'ts' sound, i always end up with a flatter sound and that happens with most samples i use. Be it open hats, closed hats or rides.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0sRnIqAZao

I'd hardly say OS and Sub zero have crisp hats, they are slighty more trashy but in a good way. Imo they sound like a break run through a guitar amp or something to raw them up. Not sure tho, im probs completey wrong ha!

---------- Post added at 20:37 ---------- Previous post was at 20:37 ----------

to make crisp hats i usually gate them a touch to make them snappy.

Stick a hi passed (rex) break in a sampler and fuck about with the attack/decay to make them snappy almost glitchy.

Last edited:
Try adding a small amount of distortion with full tone and fairly low drive, then use the analyser and your ears, and sweep the eq around the top end to find the crispy point, then just add a little eq boost there.

The only thing I can add that hasn't been stated yet is to add a bit of stereo spread either via plugin or create two mono channels of the same hi hat sequence and pan one to the left and one to the right. It'll spread those hi-frequencies out a bit and keep them from interfering with the sonic space of other instruments/sounds in the mix.

Cheers.

There are endless bits of advice on how to make a hi hat, and I can make pretty good sounding ones, but I'm talking about the type of pure-sounding goodness in tunes such as Silence Groove's 'Connection', or lots of NFM tunes.
I can't seem to get such good sounds just from variations on hipassing. Is it as simple as finding a really good live sample, maybe pitching it up a bit, hipassing, and minimal effects? They sound very crisp and clean. Perfect with a meaty synth sound.
How??!??!?!?

Ok so I made a quick Ableton instrument for you all to have a go at that I think is a good starting point for the sound you are trying to achieve, it's a drum kit but the main thing you wanna pay attention to is the cymbal and the hat. the settings should be pretty good to start with. simply create a midi track and every time you have the cymbal play also have a duplicate note on the hat. Play around with muting each the hat and cymbal whilst it's audible and notice the difference in the depth you achieve. have fun ;)

Attachments

• DOT DRUM RACK-1.adg.zip
    30.3 KB · Views: 81
Stick a very short reverb on an aux, high pass it and boost the highs. Send the aux to the drum master bus and balance the levels. If it's done right, you'll have that 'sheen' you're looking for.

Back
Top Bottom