Cringe-worthy sample/preset names...

Sammy Dexcell

Stop editing my profile Smarty!
VIP Junglist
There could be a whole other section for track titles but I'm mainly focusing on sample names etc.

For e.g I was going through my new load of samples. I figured I basically wouldn't want a well known producer to go through any of my library of sounds or a masterclass tutorial thing grabbin a screen shot of my bank of samples, it mainly consists of shit like this :

'culture shock snare.wav'
'noisia bass filth.wav'
'Spor drums.wav'
'Subfocus rise.wav'
'netsky wobble bass.wav' <-- had to throw that one in there but I genuinely have nothing named like that haha!

In all honesty this shit is kind of a bad look imo... the innocence of it is that I've obviously created something similar sounding, but on the face of it, it just looks like im trying to emulate someone etc...but whatever?!? Point is, does anyone else here share the same bad habits of naming things like a fanboy??

As I said don't get me started on track titles cause they are on another level....looking back on this maybe that thread would've been better... :monkey:

Haha! I'm completely the opposite! I'm like a fanboy of myself which is even worse! Everything I create and save as a sample or preset looks like this

KronixBass1
KronixBass2
KronixSnare1
KronixKick1
kronixAwesomeFuckingSynthShit2.4

etc
etc!

I know.....It's awful lol

Hahaha, thats organisation in my book! Gone are those days where we used to save everything as sound1.wav sound2.wav etc as we realised if we moved any of the samples FL would pick the 'closest' one and if you have folders and folders of sound1's 2's etc it would screw your projects over. Now once a track is finished i zip loop it!

Really need a computer maid to clean up my folders!

It sounds organised sure, But when I have bass sounds running from KronixBass1 through to around KronixBass 150, finding the one I'm looking for at the time can be quite time consuming!

But then in all honesty, how else can we label stuff that keeps it tidy and lets us know what the sound is? I guess it's a burden all of us must bear!

i have some along the lines of
fuckbass
cunt
sludge
slidge (because sludge was already taken)
bigsoftwomp
bigmanbass

theres hundreds more

It sounds organised sure, But when I have bass sounds running from KronixBass1 through to around KronixBass 150, finding the one I'm looking for at the time can be quite time consuming!

But then in all honesty, how else can we label stuff that keeps it tidy and lets us know what the sound is? I guess it's a burden all of us must bear!

Mate, it's a messy way of doing it, but the way I've got it now is for instance if im making a track called 'house cunt'.... its usually going to contain stuff i'd like to export so in the folder where im saving all the new versions of it i.e house cunt_1.flp - house cunt_30.flp I'll tend to just export a noise and explain it as best i can. "House cunt pad synth womp.wav", "House cunt fx and rises.wav"

It's messy but i know where everything is so it helps a lot. Can't tell you how many new projects ive made of frankenstien pieces of other tracks! Resampling is the way to go imo! Makes you get such a unique sound!

thats all well and good but compared to my slidge bass naw bruv

perez warm bass
break style
meffi midrange
icicle deep sub

usually name it after what it reminds me of

First Four in my folder right now

Reese Bass 1
Psychedelia (?)
Just Odd But I Like It
I don't even Know

I just try to name my sound by what they sound like... that being said i do try to steer clear of "naming after a producer" if you will, even if i was going for a resemblance.

That being said I have a separate folder for each song's created synths, so i basically know where everything is... sometimes..

Last edited:
Spor Lead
Strange behaviour lead (which i got pretty spot on btw)
Moving bass
Old fashined reece
Super basic flange reece

Snares:
fwap
phwap
punchy
Toney Tim (best snare ever made)
Light n tight

Kicks:
The Heavy D
Whipped
Deep End
Deff

Now i'm proper organised, with the date, type and key in every sample (thanks noisia and mefjus)

Same as Fletch. . . . . I never named shit that sounded like other artists. I never focused that much on any one particular artist. except Audio. . . .Headroom is the only track i really picked apart and put under a microscope. Sweet simplicity.

Dysrupt snare 1
Dysrupt Snare 2
bla blah blah

Except basses. . . . . my bass sounds usually are named the first thing that comes to mind

I have a
"Cactus reese" obviously very sharp
"rubber band" obviously pitch shifted and filtered to shit. ( but not very dirty)
"Lizard bass" for no apparent reason lol
"sludge bass" you get the idea.

I usually keep the same sample name. I wouldn't change it even if I completely changed the sound.

Field recordings? Yes. - BenQ Projector with background chatter, Bar Stool Whine etc etc.

I used to create patches but nowadays I just don't. One that comes to mind is Two Flangin' OSCs

wheao.wav
weird.wav
lol.wav
rattle synth.wav
pulse synth.wav
hard.wav
bumwaow.wav
liquid bass.wav
weird bass.wav
zirping.wav
fat sub.wav

would be the first ones i noticed, if i can i try to emulate the sound of the bass with letters (wheao f.ex), or try to name it after what it sounds like, my samples are all over the place though, and it doesn't help that i have at least 10 samples called lol or hrfzg for lack of a better name which i can then search for forever

Amazing thread topic!

I tend to name my samples in a pretty boring manner: ex. x_Snare_y where "x" describes the snare (ex. layered, big, tiny, etc.) and y equals the key.

Synth patch names on the other hand...well:

This_bass_impregnated_your_mum
BS_Turbo_slut_bass
PERC_Beatin_Cheeks
LD_Two_girls_One_Lead
BS_Racist_Bassist
ARP_80s_Coke_Binge
SUB_This_Sub_Made_Me_Poop_Myself
LD_Fuck_Yo_Lead_and_Yo_Couch_Charlie_Murphy
LD_Squeal_Like_a_Pig
PD_Maxi_Pad

Amazing thread topic!

I tend to name my samples in a pretty boring manner: ex. x_Snare_y where "x" describes the snare (ex. layered, big, tiny, etc.) and y equals the key.

Synth patch names on the other hand...well:

This_bass_impregnated_your_mum
BS_Turbo_slut_bass
PERC_Beatin_Cheeks
LD_Two_girls_One_Lead
BS_Racist_Bassist
ARP_80s_Coke_Binge
SUB_This_Sub_Made_Me_Poop_Myself
LD_Fuck_Yo_Lead_and_Yo_Couch_Charlie_Murphy
LD_Squeal_Like_a_Pig
PD_Maxi_Pad

Best lead name ever!

I feel the need to go and create a sound now that would emulate a vivid picture of "one man one jar"!

Back
Top Bottom