Crimple Balls // Dubstep // Soundcloud

Discussion in 'New Talent & Track Reviews' started by VanMethod, Feb 22, 2010.

1. VanMethod

VanMethod New Member

2. Dr_apocalipsis

Dr_apocalipsis Dr_apocalipsis

Hmm, it definitely has an idea in there but it's not fully developed yet. Sorry if you'll see that there are more improvement suggestions then plain positive comments so please don't take it personally

note: The opinion about some of my points may vary from the perspective of different ppl.

Pros
    1) The offset rhythm is pretty catchy and would play a great atmospheric role on a little lower volume.
    2) The organ lead by the middle and end of the track is a GREAT idea for this kind of track but personally, I would vary and tweak the chords a bit and put it on solo while lowering that offset rhythm volume or even muting the all of the sounds but the organ one. (kinda to create that chill moment, that you almost hear silence and a sweet, smooth organ solo. It would sound really ordinary, honestly)
    3) The FX create this 8 bit tetris feeling like it's an endless world of bits and numbers flying around... which i like <)

Cons:
    1) The offset loop gets boring after a while of listening. Try varying the speed of the LFO (if that's what you have used), tweak it around a bit to make it sound kinda like a glitch type effect.
    2) The distorted kick in the beginning and middle of the track sounds like a clipped audio sample which is doesn't really sound very good. [My opinion here <)]
    3)The break loop samples are all concentrated in the middle of the headphones, try spreading the sound with the Fruity Stereo Enhancer [maybe it would also sound good if -> read pint #4 and 5]
    4) The snare is waaaay too flat for this type of track. Give it a little more depth, boost up some of the EQs (but not the bass)
    5) The Kick is desperately asking for a bass boost in order to get highlighted/more powerful.
    6) More of an advice here. Train the feel of the volume balance. Essentially you feel weather you should pump up or lower some particular EQ or just the volume of one or another sample. I got this ability to more or less to the "understanding" stage in 4 years after I've started taking the music making process seriously.
    7) I would personally put some breaking effects to it. [Kinda the ones that interrupt the track for a 1/4 bar from a beat with an FX sound.]

If you want, you can listen to my track which I have uploaded just recently, if you want an example for the mixer mastering statement i wrote.
    http://dnbforum.com/showthread.php?95694-Dr_apocalipsis-Shoot-Out
    And for the overall, I pretty much enjoyed it for the atmosphere it creates.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  3. VanMethod

VanMethod New Member

Thanks alot Dr_apocalipsis!! :D

This is exactly what I was looking for :)
    As I said earlier I've only been doing this very recently and so I haven't gotten to grips with the software totally. I don't know anything really about the Limiter or Mixer EQ in Fruityloops so I will definitley have to work on that.

I will definitley use your comments to improve on it :D

4. Dr_apocalipsis

Dr_apocalipsis Dr_apocalipsis

BTW if you actually are willing to invest into this business, I can suggest you to buy some used books on amazon on topics like Mixer mastering, synthesys and composing as well as the arrangement. Those are some basic skills that you will need while working with almost any music genre there is.

5. VanMethod

VanMethod New Member

Cheers for the advice :) I'll look into it.