Creating your mix

gooders91

Wondered how everyone decides track lists for their mixes?
I tend to use virtual dj as a first listen to see if I think 2 tunes r going to sound good together..

If im doing a studio mix I usually plan for ages what my tracklists going to be, as i like to have my mixes flow as well as possible. Obviously playing out I just tend to play what I think will go down well, then again if you mix enough you know what tunes go well together.
But yeah i do use tracktor interior mode to see what tracks go well together

When recording a mix usually I'll spend a few days building it one mix at a time, going through each mix, chopping and changing tracks if they don't work or aren't in key, writing down a tracklist. Then when it's time to record I can have all the records in the right order and know exactly what i'm doing.

If playing out, the only thing I plan is which records to take with me and I can't bring them all.

i normally do the same but for my last one just mixed with mixes ive done past and present and sorta mashed em together! and it was actually more satisifying doing it once off the cuff then spending ages doing a T/L, because inevitably when you do that by the time youve recorded the thing your bored of the tunes/mixes

Blocks of mixes then see which ones go together and try and blend them from there

this.

normally blocks of three or 4 tunes then I try and piece them all together like a puzzle.

although saying this, some of my best recorded mixes have been off the cuff only really planning out the opening mix.
do whatever you feel comfortable with.

I've normally just gone for random selection, however for a mix i'm planning atm ive spent about 2 weeks working out the tracklist so far and its already 2.5 hours long. canny wait to record that badboy!

pretty much just play around on my laptop with traktor to see what double drops nicely:)
then burn some cds and just go with it;)

Back
Top Bottom