Creating Beats in Cubase 5

Oxidyze

pistol packin
I just started using Cubase 5 and I'm still trying to get my work-flow down on creating beats. The way I usually work is by starting with a few breaks, chop them up, rearranging them, placing the kicks, snares, and percussions on their own audio track and run some efx on them to get them grooving the way I want. Then I load up a couple of MIDI tracks with samplers on them. I like placing kicks and snares over the breaks with a sampler so I can flip though a large folder of samples and audition many different ones until I find the one that fits with the break I have. A lot of sampler's I've used in the past have a little "next" arrow by the sample name or area you load the sample in.... when clicking the arrow it will load the next sample in the folder.

So far in Cubase, I've got the breaks all chopped up, placed on their own audio track, and eq\compressed to taste. I'm trying to figure out how to do go about the next part of layering singe hit's over the breaks with a sampler. As I stated, I'm new to Cubase so I'm not to familiar with all the plug-ins and instruments that come with it. I'm trying to figure out how to go about this. I took a look at the "grove agent one", but it doesn't look like you can load your own samples in there... just presets of drum kits. I tried using another simple sampler that came with Cubase (I can't remember the name) and that worked great, except for you couldn't click next on the sampler and have it load the next kick or snare in the folder.... it also wouldn't play the samples as you scrolled through them in the folder view. You couldn't even hear the sample until you loaded it into the sampler and pressed your controller.

Can someone give me a few tips on how to do what I'm looking for? Or possible a sampler or instrument in Cubase I'm over looking that would perform the way I want. I appreciate any help you could give. I'm excited to start working with Cubase, but it seems to have quite the learning curve.

I guess the real question is this: in cubase, is there a sampler that will allow me to flip through samples within the folder that the already loaded sample resides in? In Reason, if I load a sample into any sampler, I can click the "next" button and it will instantly load the next sample within the same folder. Seems like something small to ask for, but this is a major time saver and artistic advantage. I can lay down the midi notes for the kicks and snares and then flip through hundreds of different samples to find the one I like.

I’ve downloaded a few free samplers, but haven’t found one that has this feature. The “Zamp” sampler with in cubase would be the perfect thing if it had this function. I don’t need a large CPU hog of a sampler to just put one shot drums in. Someone has to know of something that would do the job.

the quickest way to preview samples in cubase is to act as if you are importing audio (as you have done for your breaks) - when you are in the browser for that it previews the samples and you can just use the cursor keys to move between them.

yea tbh, ive used cubase for years and never found any sampler that matches the sequencing and preview ability as in reason. i do all my drums in reason 4 then bounce down to wav and import into cubase.

yea tbh, ive used cubase for years and never found any sampler that matches the sequencing and preview ability as in reason. i do all my drums in reason 4 then bounce down to wav and import into cubase.

yea the built in plugins cant do what you want (i think) but Kontakt can and its a great sampler. other than that you could prob find somting for free on kvr but i can't specifically recommend one.

also you can load your own samples in groove agent, just drag and drop from the arrange window too the pad.

hope this helps

You can do it in cubase with a plugin but i forget the name........hmmm what was it........oh yeah its called reason

try shortcircuit for a softsampler, its free and it kicks kontakt's arse square imo. you can find it on kvr, the only letdown is that the GUI looks a bit crap, but who cares if you just simply wanna get the most out of a sampler ;)

I've had Kontakt 2 for a wile, but haven't really got into that much. But, I've decided that it's the rout I'm going to go. It took a little wile to get the multi outs all set up, but now that I've created a template it's a piece of cake to use.

Back
Top Bottom