Creating an Atmosphere

Phat_Sam

VIP Junglist
Easi...

I've been listen back to a few of my tracks and comparing them with some of the pro ones (and even some on soundcloud from you lot) and I've noticed that a load of them have a sort of atmosphere about them.

I'm finding it really hard to try and explain it...

You know how some tracks seem to have a bit more than just 'Silence' even when theres nothing happening; no music being played.
Kinda like white noise but heavily filtered and generally nicer sounding.

Anyone know what I'm on about?

I'm basically wondering (if anyone knows what the fuck I'm on about) how to create that atmosphere.

take a pad sample that has quite a lot going on, something that moves and evolves, then play it a few octaves lower and it gives you this creepiness behind everything else that's going on, that isn't always noticable but just gives the whole track an edge, especially in the intro*

i notice this to with my tracks... say for example at the end of like x bars i want to cut out the whole track and just have a catchy vocal snipet from the main vox sample used in the intro, but as phat sam says, the 'silence' seems more silent in my tracks? again, same problem with total silence bar a vox sample on the intro?

professional tracks are dithered which can add a subtle white noise to the silence of the track, easy to do yourself. you could also try getting a good atmos synth like absynth, and look at the ''soundscapes'' section, theres some cool subtle noises that you could have endlessly looping in the backround of your track, just keep em in key!

reverb reverb reverb . a little reverb on any shakers, hats, snares etc. goes a long way to fill in the silence as well.

Back
Top Bottom