CPU overload

flydanyt3000

This stuff is pretty obvious to most people im sure. please spare me a ruff idiots guide on sorting the problem.
Ill have around 10tracks open with afew plugins on most, nothing to cpu cloggin just eq, compression and maybe reverb an it will go through the roof. bouncing the processed sections down is the obvious answer but the copied versions always seem to loose ther original quality?

what needs adjusting to take the pressure off my cpu and improve the quality of my bounced audio?

safe people.. any advice is appreciated!!

what daw u using?
what the specs of ur computer?
are u just running ur daw on its own..or do u have other applications open at the same time?

Hi mate :)!
I got something similar to your problem... 4 example i have windows 7 on quad core with 4gb ram and my daw (ableton) didnt run properly it very lags even on little amount of vsts etc
But then i discover such a good thing that save my life and its called ASIO!
Why its so magical? Its turn off all your sound from windows and sound that come from your daw did not go trough windows stuff so its come straight away from your daw to your speakers!
So 4 example before asio i was able to put only some few vsts (lets say only 8 channels) + some drum stuff and now with asio i run project with 60 channels (audio + midi as well)!
And i dont have external sound card just that built in realtek HD...
Hope asio would work for you too :)

Im using cubase sx3, my computer has a fairly decent spec its 4gb quad core runin vista.. thats why it seems strange that it can only take so much at once..

Ive got an edirol ua-25 sound card but im goin to check my Prefrences again.. Eyedepth probly is right i may have not selected the asio driver as the audio device.

but quality of my bounced audio... do you think this may be the problem aswell? or is it sumthing simple like any audio tracks u want to record do you take its level back upto 0.0db on the mixer instead of the level ive set it up as -5 db kick.. -20db precussion etc?

cheers though mate and eyedepth!! nice one

I dont think it's the levels, that should have nothing to do with CPU munch. Some plugins can take huge amounts of calculating power, but that's mainly stuff like high-quality mastering tools etc. Impulse reverbs are also very cpu-intensive but I've managed to run several of them (along with everything else in the project) with a dual core without maxing the cpu.

If you have the real-time sample rate and sample interpolation set very high it can cause something like that as well. And Vista is known as a resource hog, Windows 7 is much smoother in that regard but your comp should still operate pretty smoothly.

I'd try removing the VST's you use one by one and see if the problem is one of them. For example I've noticed that the Basslane VST which turns low freq areas to mono causes spikes and audio dropouts on my system.

rather than having each channel running straight to the master, bus them to auxillary channels (i use one for all my drums, one for bass, one for atmos & one for reverb) which in turn run to the master. so instead of having 10+ channels running straight to your master you'll only have a couple and your cpu shouldnt overload so much

If you have a quad-core make sure that your DAW sees that you want to use all 4 of them, not just one or two. But FYI i've only heard of having to do that in Protools, which is shit anyway. lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom