couple of (old school type) reese questions

EvezDroppin

VIP Junglist
currently working on a track and have resampled a reese which is sounding quite beefy in the low end, the highs are gritty with phaser etc but I can't seem to get the mids sounding right.... just sound... i dunno... not quite right!

The sort of reese I'm talking of can be found in blade runner tracks, nightflight etc

how would you go about processing the midrange? atm I've got it set to mono with some distortion (camelphat) and eq'd out the high frequencies...sent all 3 parts to a bus and added a touch of compression to try and mould them together.

I can post up an example later on but I was just wondering if anyone could give me an insight on how they'd go about it!

Thanks

Try layering it with gritty mid areas from other reese and taking mids a bit down from the original.

also man your prob better using or making your own bass patch instead of a sample which can be limiting in manipulation. With a patch you have much more freedom and its easier to then copy the patch duplicate and then change it up to create one sound. you can then add as many layers as you wish.

this is true! I'll make the mid range myself maybe, standard reese is 2 saws detuned no?

Tried making a reese from scratch before and couldnt get the beefyness to it!

mate im almost certain there will be a tutorial floating round on you tube if not there are nuff patches around that you can use & then easily make them your own

well you know how reeses sound like theyre looped samples, cos of the detuning possibly but mainly cos they are?
check raidens medusa reese for example. there are rythms in there with the distortion creating rythm patterns on its own and i once asked whats to say thats not intentional? whats to say thats just a fluke cos of distortion? so i made a midrange rythm pattern and layered. turned out alright i must say. if you know what i mean. if you like raidens medusa reese.

I usually layer a square wave an octave deeper than the detuned saws for my reeses, gives them a certain added oomph. I ususally don't detune by more than like 3 cents or something [in 3Xosc] while when I layer a third saw (usually an octave below as well) I detune the top ones by anything up to thirty cents or whatnot.

well you know how reeses sound like theyre looped samples, cos of the detuning possibly but mainly cos they are?
check raidens medusa reese for example. there are rythms in there with the distortion creating rythm patterns on its own and i once asked whats to say thats not intentional? whats to say thats just a fluke cos of distortion? so i made a midrange rythm pattern and layered. turned out alright i must say. if you know what i mean. if you like raidens medusa reese.

just checked out the track... sick reese! mine is a bit more defined than this reese, not as dirty.... maybe thats the problem, might try overdriving the mids ridiculously with camelphat and see what comes out!

I usually layer a square wave an octave deeper than the detuned saws for my reeses, gives them a certain added oomph. I ususally don't detune by more than like 3 cents or something [in 3Xosc] while when I layer a third saw (usually an octave below as well) I detune the top ones by anything up to thirty cents or whatnot.

yeah a square or sine as the low end, i think 30 cents is almost as far as u can push it without it sounding crazy! all trial and error at the moment... managed to make a nice amen hit by hit with some shuffles chopped from another amen but cant get the reese where i want it yet!

subfocus makes an old school reece in massive, in one youtube vid. i recreated it and use it all the time with various amounts of detuning (which change the wobble speed) sounds really good once u have a fiddle. sometimes may think about having different amounts of detuning depending on what note you play so the wobble sounds right like. Who knows im just throwing it out there.

i layer different synths such as massive regulary but usually send them to buss and go from there, never thought of layering samples over one another.... think I've cracked it for now anyway!!

Back
Top Bottom