counting bpm

bobadopalis

right this might sound like a stupid question but i havent been mixing for that long. when countin the bpm how do you go about doing it without looking at a timer of some sort? is it just something that after time you just sort of learn to do? thanks

I'm guessing you mean keeping in time yeah? Try tapping your foot or maybe counting "1 2 3 4, 1 2 3 4, 1 2 3 4" in your head. Try this, tap your foot to the tune that your playing then use this as a kind of guide for the tune your going to bring into the mix. Tbh though man it's just something that will just 'click' as you carry on learning and practicing.

I'm guessing you mean keeping in time yeah? Try tapping your foot or maybe counting "1 2 3 4, 1 2 3 4, 1 2 3 4" in your head. Try this, tap your foot to the tune that your playing then use this as a kind of guide for the tune your going to bring into the mix. Tbh though man it's just something that will just 'click' as you carry on learning and practicing.

This. It'll become natural as you get the hang of it.

yeah i can sort of do that allready, i guess if i just stick at it itll start to come naturally

yeah i can sort of do that allready, i guess if i just stick at it itll start to come naturally

Yeh man, basically if you keep at it one day it will just kinda fall into place but as with anything it does take practice so just keep at it and you'll be sound (y) It's like riding a bike or driving a car, once it's 'clicked' you'll never forget.

I'm learning to spin vinyl recently myslef, as I just produce atm...and my friend who is teachin' me to spin the vinyl on his decks, told me basically what the Welsh Junglist is tellin' ya here. I've played the bass guitar since 2001 though, so kinda already have the timing in me. Just workin' at matching the beats right now, as it's a narrow window at some points it seems, and I need to work on gettin the break to drop at the right point in the track where it works, etc..only practiced a couple of times so far though.

You can just tell when to put a tune in eventually, i listened to dnb so long before i started dj'ing i just knew.. If not, it will come!!!

I'm practicin' spinning vinly using breakbeats atm...he's got some dnb vinyl as well, but not much..so basically i'm practin' on tunes I don't know very well for the most part, so not in tune to where the best drops in the tracks are etc, just workin' on matchin' atm...used a bit of trance as well, which is easier to match up..

I never count the bpm...listen to each record in turn and count 1,2,3,4 and then from that you should be able to tell which one needs speeding up/slowing down and then keep going from that...if that makes sense?

I never count the bpm...listen to each record in turn and count 1,2,3,4 and then from that you should be able to tell which one needs speeding up/slowing down and then keep going from that...if that makes sense?

Yeah makes sense. That's what my friend was tellin' me to do, and usin' the pitch to speed up the vinyl, or slow down if needed, and also using your finger to slow down the platter on the deck a bit at times, to try to line it up like that when cueing it up in the headphones...

practice beatmatching is hard job
a trick you can use is put the second tune at a lot % of pich
doing that you reduce the posibility: "more fast OR more slow "
in only: "more fast"
so you can start to slowing down the plate and the pitch.
you know?
practice that

Counting BPM isnt good.
but:
you can try that:
1-CRONOMETRE the time that the traks needs to do 51 (fifty-one) beats
2-the result is XX,Y seconds
so you divide 3.000 / XX,Y

3000/17,2= 174,41

if you spends 17,2 seconds
the track is going arround 174,41 bpm

hope i help you ;)