Could do with some advice with looking for some serious headphones!

elmaruk

slannndaaaaaaar
VIP Junglist
The place I've just moved has people below me so so's not to piss the hell out of them I'm wanting to fork out some money to get a pair of precise headphones. Something I can create, produce and mix down with, maybe even master. I'm looking for something really precise that isn't gonna boost frequencies in my mix. So far I've read about AKG's and KRK headphones.

I'd love to hear your experiences with headphones and how much I'd need to be spending to get something with good quality. Sooo any recommendations on what to go for or what not to go for, fire awayyyy!

Hi elmaruk,

Check out the posts on gearslutz about good headphones for mixing/mastering - cracked me UP! The bottom line according to them is that it just doesn't work. However, I've been using Sennheiser HD280s lately and it translates to my monitors quite nicely. Switching back and forth (even with earbuds or something) really helps to get the perspective you need for a good mixdown.

Bottom line, IMO, drop lots on good monitors, not good headphones. I use EV Sentry 500s, look them up to LOL.

Absolutely no point in dropping cash on expensive monitors until you treat your room properly, with some bass traps at the very least. Not everyone has a room suitable for monitoring in either, due to computer/traffic noise, neighbours, and so on.

I use sennheiser HD-25-1 ii and love them. Great noise isolation, comfortable, nice bass response, pretty flat, upfront and very detailed and precise. Top bang for the buck. Very popular studio production headphones. Absolutely trashes the hd280s too, imho. http://www.head-fi.org/t/431705/review-sennheiser-hd-25-1-ii

Sennheiser Hd25s. Sound fucking amazing, you can use em for Djing too. Mid range is a little over pronounced though. Nothing you cant handle with a good bit of comparitive listening though!

cheers for the advice guys. i think i'm gonna go for the 701's/702's...heard nothing but goodness about them :)

they are nice. i heard the 702ss are the same as 701s but just a different colour though.... 701s might be cheaper not sure

yuse ipod hedfones meight
yeah some bad man bass on dem yeh?

---------- Post added at 14:47 ---------- Previous post was at 14:47 ----------

bought some hd25s recently and my standard of living has gone up an incredible amount
how so?

---------- Post added at 14:48 ---------- Previous post was at 14:47 ----------

they are nice. i heard the 702ss are the same as 701s but just a different colour though.... 701s might be cheaper not sure
as far as i know the only two differences are the colour and the fact the cables detachable

Take a permanant marker and draw this on your headphones : |

Voila! Serious headphones. :teeth:

I use AKG K77's they work fine for me.

I use Sennheiser HD650 and find them pretty cool.

same here and totally in love with them. i also switch to the 280s as the 650s do have a noticeable dip around 1.5kHz and sometimes have trouble finding the right level with my bass as the 650s produce very wide sound. then i flick on my monitors for about 15 seconds total time to catch any other mistakes (usually wide sounds getting lost).

Back
Top Bottom