Copyrights-contracts-percentage

Discussion in 'Drum & Bass' started by eyecam, Jan 26, 2005.

1. eyecam

eyecam New Member

Hey folks, I'm new to the forum but have some contacts with labels about a downtempo album I'm about to release. I'd like to ask the older ones about the whole story concerning copyrights, money paid to the producer, the whole system and its traps. I have heard about people getting nothing after years of releasing their tunes and about people that can actually live on those money. Where's the truth fellows?
    Thanks for any feedback, I think this is sth that concerns a lot of people.

Makis (Greece)

2. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

If you can find a friend who is a lawyer (or at least a couple of years into their legal education) get them to help you. But don't expect them to do it for absolutely free. They've spent years studying, passed shitloads of exams and have worked their asses off for them to be able to look at a contract and say "They're fucking you in art. 7" or tell you "You can't sample that track without clearance. Even 5 seconds.". Might not seem like a lot of work on their part but you're not seeing the previous work. Give them at least a couple of promos, take 'em to a rave or buy them dinner.

If you can't find a friend then you might have to spend even more.

The people who live from their record deals have good contracts.

3. eyecam

eyecam New Member

The contract they offered me is not the ideal one, meaning that I get 14% of sales, and it's not a nice percentage I've heard, let alone that these money might never actually reach my pocket. They also want 50% of all live appearances. I'm totally irrelevant with all these subjects, so I'm asking for an expert's opinion.
    On the other hand, I have no other alternatives as the album was made for another label that closed down and I'm searching for several months now for a decent label. They seem fine, meaning that they own a studio and a nice distribution agent but they want at least three albums and that' a lot to be made!
    Any feedback would be more than appreciated, thanks Dustek!