Copyrights and remixing issues

Quotec

Evening

I am currently working on a track that involves acapella from Katy Perry´s song. As I think that this vocal(its flow and pick of words, but mainly flow) is not suitable for making a nice remix I decided to cut the vocal into pieces. These pieces are just some random words or short phrases that I like and so I mixed them in. In this case is that track considered a remix or not? Some phrases are taken from chorus line.

If I found that acapella in Soundcloud and on Youtube for free, will I face any copyright issues for using it in remixing purposes?

Many thanks

Not really a remix, just sampling.

Either way you do not have the right to use it so there is a risk involved.

Only if you get caught though.

Only if you sell it I believe

Not only if he sells. The label (therefore the artist) is the legitimate owner of the right of said vocal lines, independently if they are used as a whole or just snippets, or if you make money out of it or don't. They can, and will, take your song down IF and WHEN they want to.

Most of time the songs that include copyrighted material passes through unnoticed because the song itself didn't achieve a high following base, this means, didn't make a huge fuzz around it. But I read on other forums that some songs got excluded from soundcloud with barely 50 plays due to copyright issues.

yeah but thats never guna happen lets be honest, its a snippet of vocal that would probably be unrecognisable. If you posted it on Perrys facebook or whatever, im still sure they wouldn't give a shit if its not making money, althought i could be massively wrong

- - - Updated - - -

actually coming to think of it, im doing a bootleg of a Lana Del-ray tune atm with my flat mate, that'll go public so i'll see what happens with that.

Lemme know when you are done with bootleg, I am excited to hear.

Also thanks guys for input. Atm I am not sure which way this will go, I am trying to get this track as big as I possibly can even if it will take me months to complete. Definitely if I will have the chance I will go with this track as far as I can so "cockfights and relaxing tissues" may float up once again.

Make sure you sit down with your legs crossed too or you might be asked to leave

Don't forget to wear your girlfriends jeans, with your ankles on show. Would not want to be confused with a regular bearded man who has bad vision and enjoys over priced coffee.

about3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom