Copyright

Jster

Hey fellow dnb listeners, I started mixing about 5 months ago and now I want to start uploading my mixes. How tf do I get around this copyright issue!! I can't really be expected to ask each producer if I can mix and post their track? Does anyone know a way around this?

Yo
Couple of pointers that sadly won't help you mate.
1. Upload them somewhere that doesn't do this copyright shit.
Soundcloud, mix cloud, Facebonk streams? Forget it.
2. Don't play the cheesy numbers that are subject to copyright. If its played on radio 1 etc or some dude on basefook refers to it as a "banger roller" its probably gonna copyright restricted. Where as some more underground ish won't get flagged up.

Yo
Couple of pointers that sadly won't help you mate.
1. Upload them somewhere that doesn't do this copyright shit.
Soundcloud, mix cloud, Facebonk streams? Forget it.
2. Don't play the cheesy numbers that are subject to copyright. If its played on radio 1 etc or some dude on basefook refers to it as a "banger roller" its probably gonna copyright restricted. Where as some more underground ish won't get flagged up.

there's issues with mixcloud now? smh

@Jster tl;dr don't worry too much about the legal issue, everybody does it. just go for it!

Legal questions aside for a moment, for practicality just set up a profile on www.hearthis.at and upload mixes there to avoid copyright issues. It has the good features of Soundcloud but without the copyright strikes and takedowns. I've been on there for a few years with truckloads of mixes and profiles and never had any trouble of the sort, unlike on Soundcloud. Not to sound like an advert but I think it's the best website for hosting mixes atm. You can link to them on social media just the same. The website's default look is a bit bland but it works:
profiles: https://hearthis.at/mixes5000/
individual tracks/mixes: https://hearthis.at/mixes5000/tobestarmcsantana2000atconnieislandleipzig/
There's another mix on that profile which checks ALL copyright boxes (the 80s Megamix by late master DJ Spinbad) and it's been up there for almost three years. hearthis.at seems to small a platform / too small of a userbase for RIAA type bloodhounds to knock at the door (unlike Soundcloud and Mixcloud) or even sift through. Besides, while distributing/uploading mixes with uncleared tunes is illegal in most countries and has been since day 1 of mixing, millions of people commit that "crime" every day around the globe. It's low level risk, just slightly above using the Amen sample in a tune or watching a movie on a dodgy streaming website. And you can bet that bigname DJs don't clear every single tune they play in sets with millions of clicks either. On Youtube, copyright violations don't even neccessarily mean takedowns but often just demonetization. Copyright violation is still illegal but largely normalized. Some 15 years ago I received a letter from a GEMA lawyer's office about my uploaded mixes, but they stopped pursuing the case as soon as they realized it's DnB and how little money they could squeeze out of me for it. It's just not worth the effort. The worst that should happen in 2021 is a takedown order and a stern facial expression. The copyright police are after much more lucrative victims than DJs who upload DnB mixes (which nowadays are 100% bedroom/studio mixes anyway). Unless you piss them off somehow, I guess.

Back
Top Bottom