Copyright/Streaming Rights Bods..

ThePapa

Suffragette City..
VIP Junglist
I've just received an email from the distribution arm of a label. I emailed them asking for permission to use one of their tracks in a mix after Soundcloud took it down. Their answer kinda confuses me if anyone on here can help..

'if you have ripped it from XXXXXXX then soundcloud will automatically encode and watermark the tracks preventing you from re-uploading copy protected material'

Not sure that's true and anyway I'm a grown man who'd rather claw his own eyes out than rip something like that but it's this bit that gets me..

'You can download it from below in mp3 or wav format.. this is licenced material and you will be able to upload it'

Now I'm confused it looks like they don't understand how copyright works. Could this be considered as them giving me permission to stream (at least) or would I need something more? He is wrong right I'm not just being stupid am I?

Doesn't make a lot of sense Papa...

Assuming you have already bought the WAV (or MP3) then I guess they are suggesting you can use it in a mix.

I assume this is a smaller label?

Doesn't make a lot of sense Papa...

Assuming you have already bought the WAV (or MP3) then I guess they are suggesting you can use it in a mix.

I assume this is a smaller label?

Yeah it sounds like they don't understand copyright. Thing is Soundcloud allows you to dispute but it says you must have the right licenses/permissions. Seems like I need to keep emailing until I get the right response. Thing is why did it even flag up if they aren't bothered about it? I would have thought that labels would notify Soundcloud so that they had a data bank of tunes that couldn't be uploaded..

Possibly, if you submit it to soundcloud with an email receipt of your purchase of the tune i reckon that might do it.

there is only 1 algorithm for audio water marking, they just trust it, when you are uploading a file, a program is scanning the proxy file, kind of like a transcoder, and looks in a database of water marks a labels give soundcloud of other sites, they water mark their tunes with when they release it to a shop, and know where the tune came from

its the same as a dj gets a promo, the label knows who leaked the tune, if they give every dj their own personal watermark

and all that null nuke does it with 1337 backend code, and adds a watermark when you buy a tune, linked to the shop and you account shit

Last edited:
thing is, uplaoding a mix to soundcloud is basically illeagal if you don't have permission from all the labels (or whoever own rights to these musical compositions). same thing with youtube - it's illeagal to upload a track or mix if you don't own the rights or permission. but it doesn't matter, cause all they do is mute your track/mix or take it down - don't worry you don't go to prison for this.

now as for the email, i don't understant squat about that reply - it should be pretty straight forward answer - yes/no to a straight forward question: "pls can i use this track in my mix, i'm about to upload to soundcloud for this or that purposes?". if you've got a permission, but sc takes your mix down neverthless, then that's between you and sc. but sc doesn't have to host your mix if they don't want to. hell they may as well say they don't like your mix and not host it for that reason only. totally legit.

Last edited:
it was a while back but I just ranted on about how, in so many words, their claim was stupid etc etc and they put it back up.

Back
Top Bottom