Copyright Mixes..Your View

Dj Shitme

Hi Guys,

Just saw a comment and thought it could be quite open to topical debate. And we all love to throw our two'penneth in so here goes.

stolen from Andy C - disgustin

Does the above apply to every mix by every person in the world? Or does it only apply to the big boys. The Andy C's, The Frictions.

*What i mean by a mix is for instance 2-3 songs that really go well together*

If you hear something on the radio by an up-and-coming then would it be wrong to replicate that in one of your own mixes. I want to be original as the next person but obviously with the digital age its not hard for anyone to upload a mix.

I'm just interested in hearing views...

Personally its all about being original. Dont like to do a mix iv heard people like andy do before. I mean yeeh ill try it at home, because it sounds bad. But i wouldnt copy it and play it out in a set/ mix.

copying mixes from established dj's on purpose is not on!
but lets face it, when u get certain tunes around the same time it doesn't take a genius to know which ones are gonna sound great together and lots of people with the same tunes are gonna do the same mix! u cant copyright it, its how u mix, eq them and get them sounding nice that i think counts!

To be fair though, some people generally don't know that "X big name DJ" is mixing the same tunes, in the same order. Its pretty coincidental. Not everyone is out there listening to the latest "big name" sets. Some may not even have the access to these sets. I wouldn't be offended if someone did a few of the same mixes as I have previous. If tunes work well in a mix together then so be it.

On a similar note, i'v always wondered about watermarking my mixes. What's to stop DJ X in another country downloading my mix i'v put up on the forum for instance & handing it to his local promoter and getting bookings from it.

i dont see the fuss tbh, what does it matter, if u copied a complete set then ye, thats pretty retarded, but a mix? it could be coincidental... anything. imo its petty and stuck up, if 2 tracks sound good together and more than one DJ has picked up on it and used it so what just cos some1 has done it first doesnt mean every1 else has stolen it and should be shamed. however, if some1 has listened to say, all of Andy C's sets and then purposely gone out and done the same mixes etc to have to the same impact as andy, then the only person who should be dissapointed is that person, cos they cant be original and true to themselves and still have an impact, and they need to work on their own abilities and style.

so ye, i think "stealing" a mix is pretty much none existant, 2 tracks (or a few) sound good together then so be it, expect it to be used by more than one DJ, if it is done intentionaly then that person needs to re-think.

To be fair though, some people generally don't know that "X big name DJ" is mixing the same tunes, in the same order. Its pretty coincidental. Not everyone is out there listening to the latest "big name" sets. Some may not even have the access to these sets. I wouldn't be offended if someone did a few of the same mixes as I have previous. If tunes work well in a mix together then so be it.

this... its silly to try and keep mixes exclusive.. if they work they work and it is mostly by accident. ive been in a club and hear the dj play a mix and think "ive done this mix before" u cant copyright the mix of two tunes its silly

On a similar note, i'v always wondered about watermarking my mixes. What's to stop DJ X in another country downloading my mix i'v put up on the forum for instance & handing it to his local promoter and getting bookings from it.

this makes alot of sense... how do u no if the mix ur hearing is by the person hu sent it... in ansa u dont... i personally dont think many promoters book people on the strength of a demo alone.

Yeah I agree with everyone else. I'm sure we've all heard a heavy mix by a big name and tried to pull it off ourselves but I wouldn't replicate these mixes when playing live or anything like that. But I'm sure I would have 'copied' some mixes off of some big names without realising it as well. For instance, I've been double dropping the Sub Focus remix of Take Me to the Hospital with Body Rock (yeah cheesy I know haha) and I'd imagine Andy C must've done that one a few times even though I haven't heard him do it. He used to do it with Timewarp and Body Rock and Take me to the hospital has that same swing beat to make it work. If someone could confirm if Andy does this that'd be good actually because I might stop doing it if he does!

Yeah I agree with everyone else. I'm sure we've all heard a heavy mix by a big name and tried to pull it off ourselves but I wouldn't replicate these mixes when playing live or anything like that. But I'm sure I would have 'copied' some mixes off of some big names without realising it as well. For instance, I've been double dropping the Sub Focus remix of Take Me to the Hospital with Body Rock (yeah cheesy I know haha) and I'd imagine Andy C must've done that one a few times even though I haven't heard him do it. He used to do it with Timewarp and Body Rock and Take me to the hospital has that same swing beat to make it work. If someone could confirm if Andy does this that'd be good actually because I might stop doing it if he does!

well, if u want be anal about it, maybe HE should stop doing it, cos u do it... lol

Big up DJshitme for this thread!!

Its all a load of shite, copying mixes is all rubbish think how many DJs there are out there and how many tunes there are people are always gunna do the same mix now and again.

who gives a shit
being a dj is about playing the music that sounds best and will please the crowd the most, thats your job as a dj. if you hear something and you like it, imitate because i'm sure others might too!

if went and saw a local no name dj and he was able to replicate an andy c set in terms of both the track selection and the way it was mixed, i do believe i would be pleasantly surprised.

i think i am partly on both sides of the argument. i think that some times mixes are very obvious, for example together and tear you down IS a andy c mix but i think maybe a lot of us would have thought of that one - therefore not a problem!
however when you here a mix that is trully inspired, for example andy's mix and cutting with chubrub and mr happy, i think it is very very wrong to imitate. its fine if you wanna mosh out in your bedroom but putting it on a demo or playing it out live should be illegal!

swing n roundabouts...........

said dj is probably not the first to do that mix n will deffo not be the last, if a mix sound bad then why should people not do the same mix, agreed on the fact that a full mix etc is a no no

i think i am partly on both sides of the argument. i think that some times mixes are very obvious, for example together and tear you down IS a andy c mix but i think maybe a lot of us would have thought of that one - therefore not a problem!
however when you here a mix that is trully inspired, for example andy's mix and cutting with chubrub and mr happy, i think it is very very wrong to imitate. its fine if you wanna mosh out in your bedroom but putting it on a demo or playing it out live should be illegal!

Should be illegal??? But what if u dnt sit there day in and day out listening to sets from these big name djs? how do you know that they had dne these mixs?
some tunes fit really well together.

I tell you what hannibal do me a favour and write every single mix that ANDY C, FRICTION, SUBFOCUS, ORIGINAL SIN, HYPE, TAXMAN, SIGMA has done and then we all know where your coming from and we wont do them mixs!!

Think about it mate you will be there all day trying to write ALL them mixs down. It aint copying at all cus not everyone jst sits and listens to the big names bruv.

A mix is a mix so fukin what that someone else has dne it maybe its a compilment to other djs if someone else does the same mix.

Also Hannibal (or shall i say vikki) jst listened to your mix from the cd and uve done the same mix as me VAPOURISE & DO U WANNA, so is that classed as copying??? Which was posted up on here a few weeks ago.

blimey, how pathetic and egotistical would you have to be to moan that someone did the same mix of two tracks as you?

how could they stake claim to exclusive rights to a mix order?

Also Hannibal (or shall i say vikki) jst listened to your mix from the cd and uve done the same mix as me VAPOURISE & DO U WANNA, so is that classed as copying??? Which was posted up on here a few weeks ago.

Dont know what your talking bout with this vikki thing mate. and if you listened to my mix then you would know that i use do u wanna very differently to anyone else i have heard.

It can be annoying when you do a good mix at home and think to yourself "nice!" then hear big name DJ's do it and think "Damn!". If you then play the mix out You think people might come up and say "Oi! Oi you! Stop copying you bastard" but they very rarely do.

I was doing Follow The Light into If We Ever before i heard Sub Focus do it but still played the mix out. Sub Focus uses Andy C's mixes all the time and as someone else said, theres to many DJ's nowadays to pin mixes down to one person.

Back
Top Bottom