Copyright laws...

boobjunkie

VIP Junglist
If you produce a track using samples from films or TV do you need to get permission from the copyright owners before you make it/ play it/ release it?

mmm this is interesting, obviously its one thing producing the track and playing it for your friends but if you get signed to a record label and your track goes into production and is on sale to the general public... i assume if you didnt get copyright permission you could get in serious shit if the copyright owner became aware an wanted to kick up a stink?

Do a search for "James Brown" and "copyright".

In theory if you sample somebody's work (music, film, tv) you must have permission/pay.

Oh and copyright law is infinitely complicated. Don't think you've found some loophole because you haven't - especially in UK and US copyright law.

You'll get into serious shit if you make serious money sampling a track. So must dnb is under the radar. Exception - Zinc and the Fugees.

thank you both =] its something that ive been thinking about for a while, i assume it can sometimes be very expensive to get the permission to use samples in your tracks so i thought most producers wouldnt bother

thank you both =] its something that ive been thinking about for a while, i assume it can sometimes be very expensive to get the permission to use samples in your tracks so i thought most producers wouldnt bother

Not necessarily expensive, more of a serious time and effort consuming bother with no guarantee of success.

I used a sample from an audio book lately and I'm in contact with the producers to clear it. As far as films go, apparently there's no chance.

well that blows =/ guess you've just gotta keep it on the d/l then...

cheers for the info anyways geez ive been curious for a while

this is a really interesting post ... and i think that if people use spoken words from films they just keep it on the D-low but there was a case a michael jackson dnb remix which was amazing .. and the label that signed the song just did it as unknown artist ...that could be one beautiful loop hole ?:rowley:

this is a really interesting post ... and i think that if people use spoken words from films they just keep it on the D-low but there was a case a michael jackson dnb remix which was amazing .. and the label that signed the song just did it as unknown artist ...that could be one beautiful loop hole ?:rowley:

Now that is an interesting point.. like that killer chop suey remix called "drop suey" was released as unknown artist

mmm this is interesting, obviously its one thing producing the track and playing it for your friends but if you get signed to a record label and your track goes into production and is on sale to the general public... i assume if you didnt get copyright permission you could get in serious shit if the copyright owner became aware an wanted to kick up a stink?

thats wat im finkin if ya gat signed to a label surely the label will help ya out?????

Back
Top Bottom