Converting to MP3

emy

VIP Junglist
Sorry another question thread

I noticed a lot of mixes people upload on dnbshare are a lot less MB than mine. I think I convert mine at a rate of 128, resulting in about 40MB for 30 mins

What rate do you use? Is quality affected if lower? Download times?

Just wondering :)

Easy.
Yeah the lower the kps the lower in quality and file size.
But the higher the rate of kps the larger your file will be. But then you compromise this for quality.
I think most people on here don't mind how large the file is as long as its good quality!
So if you want a top quality mix as an mp3 encode it to 320 kps.
Hope this helps.
Also check this out for a proper explanation: http://www.mp3-converter.com/bitrates.htm

Last edited:
128kbs is good enough really!

320kbs is good for single tracks and production as you need clarity

Its up to you really, i wouldnt record a whole mix at 320kbs as the file size will be big, i learnt this from experience lol! But if 128kbs isnt alright for you then just try something in the middle

192kbs for mixes, wont download a 128kbs mix

tracks 320kbs, maybe 192 if I'm desperate

I recorded a 128kbs mix recently and it doesnt sound massively different to the 320kbs one i recorded!

Probably makes a difference on good speakers/sound card though.
A 128 kbs mix mp3 will sound dull and lifeless on a decent amp and speakers/monitors as it cuts the majority of the high end off. If you it through a frequency analyser you'll see that anything above 12Khz is pretty much lost. Thats why playing anything but 320kbs mp3's in clubs will sound shockingly shit.

I won't download a 128 mix because it sounds bollocks on any piece of equipment I have - especially my high end hifi. 192 is okay, 320 preferable. As for tracks, I wouldn't play out anything below 320 if I can avoid it.

In these days of broadband and huge Ipods, there's not much point doing a low quality conversion from wav to mp3.

Its ok, I have realised it was 192 that I used before so I will do the same. Thanks for the information!

Back
Top Bottom