Converting Tapes to MP3's on Laptop

thats quite a funky looking thing :) ,, looks like its just for a STD PC and not a laptop tho :(

thing is ive got a real nice denon tape deck and was hoping to use that as my player

Your laptop should definitely have a soundcard. I've never known one that hasn't and I've been working in IT support for 7 years. Unless it's older than 1997 or so. If it's got USB slots it should have a soundcard of some form or another. Check Device Manager for any devices marked with an exclamation mark or anything that just says unknown. If you find any of these just insert the CD that came with the laptop or failing that search the Internet quoting the model number which will probably be on a sticker underneath. A lot of manufacturers rebadge a generic laptop so you'll generally want to quote the model number, especially if the original supplier has gone bust.

The cheapest method is to purchase a one to two audio cable like this one from Maplin - http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=31700&criteria=PHONO&doy=23m11

Then just plug the stereo ends into the Denon's output and the single end into your line in socket on the laptop and start recording. It's a bit slow but worth the effort. I've done loads of tapepacks this way, just make sure the line in volume isn't set too high or it distorts.

Last edited:
Your laptop should definitely have a soundcard. I've never known one that hasn't and I've been working in IT support for 7 years. Unless it's older than 1997 or so. If it's got USB slots it should have a soundcard of some form or another. Check Device Manager for any devices marked with an exclamation mark or anything that just says unknown. If you find any of these just insert the CD that came with the laptop or failing that search the Internet quoting the model number which will probably be on a sticker underneath. A lot of manufacturers rebadge a generic laptop so you'll generally want to quote the model number, especially if the original supplier has gone bust.

The cheapest method is to purchase a one to two audio cable like this one from Maplin - http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=31700&criteria=PHONO&doy=23m11

Then just plug the stereo ends into the Denon's output and the single end into your line in socket on the laptop and start recording. It's a bit slow but worth the effort. I've done loads of tapepacks this way, just make sure the line in volume isn't set too high or it distorts.

it looks like it has a conexant AMC Audio device , i take it i can plug the line in to the mic socket ? as this is the only line input i have , in the audio options i do have a recording volume and a picture of a microphone so i presume thats how you do it , do i need a program to record tapes or does my computer detect an input of sound coming in and start recording straight away ?

Thanks
Trev

You will need a program I'm afraid, the sound recorder from Microsoft only records up to 60 seconds. You can easily find some freeware stuff online though. This was the first likely candidate I found - http://www.softplatz.com/Soft/Audio-Multimedia/Other/Freecorder.html but I can't vouch for it as I didn't download it. Watch out for Spyware too because these days, unfortunately, free usually means it has a payload.

As I said earlier if it's only a mic input do some recording tests first and ensure you don't have it to loud because it can sound like crap otherwise. That said you may need to enable the Db enhancer if there is one, just play around until it sounds right. Dillinja stuff with those low, low frequencies is good for checking distortion. Good luck and be sure to post your finished rips so we can all download them!

You will need a program I'm afraid, the sound recorder from Microsoft only records up to 60 seconds. You can easily find some freeware stuff online though. This was the first likely candidate I found - http://www.softplatz.com/Soft/Audio-Multimedia/Other/Freecorder.html but I can't vouch for it as I didn't download it. Watch out for Spyware too because these days, unfortunately, free usually means it has a payload.

As I said earlier if it's only a mic input do some recording tests first and ensure you don't have it to loud because it can sound like crap otherwise. That said you may need to enable the Db enhancer if there is one, just play around until it sounds right. Dillinja stuff with those low, low frequencies is good for checking distortion. Good luck and be sure to post your finished rips so we can all download them!

Hey thanks :) ill have a play around and when i suss it out ill host some more MP3s

Back
Top Bottom