Controlling The Floor & Educating the Masses

Discussion in 'Drum & Bass' started by Howitzer, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Howitzer

Howitzer Active Member

Ez All,
    So with the recent splash of dnb in the charts theres a bit of a surge in popularity in the nightclubs too.
    This is bringing dnb to much more mainstream audiences, whether it be the venue or the people.

This has also led to me getting more bookings at these places. Its no bad thing, I love my music and want to give it to everyone.
    The trouble is that most of these people dont know about the good stuff. I feel it's my duty as a representative to the underground scene and as a DJ to educate these miscreants in just what theyre missing. It aint easy though, especially at peak time.

I'm not going to stoop to cheezy ass, chart dnb to please the punters. Thats not what I do, and its not what I want to be known for. I dont get paid for gigs, so I play my music.

Having said that, going in head first with some skeptical, Ulterior Motive, Phace, etc is enough to scare off all the women and following that, all the men. An empty dancefloor isnt a good look at 1am.

I know theres a lot of active DJ's on these forums, are you seeing the same thing too? How do YOU go about coaxing these people down the rabbit hole without scaring them off?

I understand selection is key. This is the mark of a good DJ afterall, and something I aspire to. But I havent had enough practice with this type of crowd yet to fully understand them.

Mods; if this belongs in the DJ, MC, Tunrntablism, I apologise, please shift it to wherever.

2. DJError

DJError AKA Error

basically i see it like this, if you get booked to play somewhere which has a specific audience, then really you should be catering for their needs. They're paying to get in, expecting a certain style/genre then really thats what they should get, if i went to some tech rave and they were playing jump up i wouldnt exactly be pleased

but on the other hand your the DJ so you should play what you want to.

when im in that position i play a bit of both and tunes that borderline or just anthems that everyone will know anyway. End of the day they're gonna be licked so any tune easy to dance to would be good enough in my opinion

3. EvezDroppin

EvezDroppin how to change name,......

take some recent chart tunes/ popular tunes and mix them over ur darker stuff... i think depending on where ur playin u should be playing to accomodate the crowd not your own personal taste.

4. hyperd4eva

hyperd4eva H&M SCARVES

i literally would just mix dub reggae dnb (benny page - jungle cakes series etc... ) mixed with some deep liquid and throw in the odd stomper. just try to mix it up as much as possible.. u can still keep an audience interested and play the tunes you like. Just remember to get as much vocal in as possible!!

5. WhoSayReload?

WhoSayReload? Well-Known Member

Yeah just thinking this. Wondering how the masses cope with bass? Like if I drop PA - The Shogun over say Hot Right Now (Camo n Krooked remix)?

6. Dilla

Dilla Member

Thats it. Just mix the good stuff with the cheese.

Shy FX - Shake your body always gets the women dancing all the time with a smile

7. sam the dnb man

sam the dnb man Variation

Sub Focus - Flamenco....

Love playing this one

8. PhorceOfHabit

PhorceOfHabit Seldom

I think the main thing with this isn't that people will walk off as soon as they hear a Skeptikal tune, but more the fact that they expect more variety, and they expect more noticeable mixing if you see what I mean. Sure, playing Skeptical into Dubphizix into Need For Mirrors is fine at a D&B night, but with your (hopefully) tight mixing, combined with the fact that these people don't know their d&b, that's gonna sound like one big tune to them.

Just make sure you don't play big sections of deep dark tunes, and instead keep the mix moving around. This type of crowd has a shit attention span so expects every tune to be very noticeably different from the last. All those seamlessly smooth mixes you practiced for so long in your bedroom aren't gonna be what goes down well.

Also, there's plenty of tune's I guarantee they'll like that are still decent, put a heavy rolling bassline under LK for example.

9. DeeGun

DeeGun Church of Krust

As long as you donĀ“t feel like shit..its alrite I guess.

10. WhoSayReload?

WhoSayReload? Well-Known Member

No point playing like deep tech no one will like it, it sounded fucking weird to me when I first really heard DnB and for ages I thought it was proper boring, just play energetic tunes like most Noisia tunes BTK Let it hit em etc. etc. and just stick to dancefloor with some jump up rollers or whatever Poon / Your Flex will go down well imo

11. Jwood27

Jwood27 VICTIM

^^ this

if you want to keep bookings up then you'll have to against what you want to a big degree, play some shit tunes, and lots of remixes of stuff people will know (blind faith remix and such like that).
    classic bits like lk, shake your body and so are good.
    as mentioned jungle cakes too.
    failing that stuff with vocals chucked in over slightly more rolly stuff, if your gona play darker bits id suggest stuff like the upbeats remix of pacman, wing that over a vocal (chase & status - take me away i use a lot) should do the trick.

its all about finding a balance, any kind of drumstep/screech will probably get some people going.
    at the end of the day you'll have to try and find a happy midground between playing all out rubbish, and keeping an unknowledgeable crowd on the dancefloor

12. Sicx

Sicx Well-Known Member

Remixes of chart stuff is always good, i still rinse the Spectrasoul rolling in the deep remix. Like everyones said vocal stuff always go down well, Perez's Forsaken appears in basically every set i do.
    Im one of those Dj's who really hates playing stuff im not keen on though. Probably why i dont get many bookings! derp

13. Matt Damon

Matt Damon MATT DAMON

14. Fallen.GeMiNi

Fallen.GeMiNi 3rd rate banger merchant

Well I have an advantage of liking tons of different stuff, so I can always find some cheesy tunes that suits me and don't have to play out stuff I don't like (don't you ever touch the remix of Blind Faith again, a'ight J?) :D Aaanyways playing out for an unexperienced audience in the prime time is all about lots of vocal stuff (as others already mentioned), some well-known or catchy "jungle" tunes (Incredible, The Licence, Special Dedication, whatever else) are also more than welcome by the dancefloor. You can always include some tunes you love, but it has to be in balance with the widely popular/vocal bits, mixing some techstep with I don't know...Pieces by Chase & Status works really well for example. If you wanna play out your usual stuff (we are speaking about some mainstream dance club nights, not proper dnb nights), you should be rather seeking bookings for late/morning hours, when the audience is already wasted enough to basically just dance to anything. And if you are out of ideas, drop the fucking Timewarp VIP :teeth:

15. Howitzer

Howitzer Active Member

Thanks a lot for all your responses. Looks like im gonna be digging deep in the crates for this gig. I'm thinking some old hospital (before they put out crap) and some of the recent dirty RAM stuff coupled with the classic oldies should be good to get the floor started :)

An inspired and thought provoking reply, you just changed my life.

16. Harry3

Harry3 Chuki

Bladerunner - Feel For You