Controlling CPU Usage

Time Dependant

Jungle Hunter
VIP Junglist
Ez all I'm currently running FL Studio 5 but seem to cain my CPU with certain plug-ins & FX I may use. Is there a way inside Fruity to control how much of my CPU will be used or does anyone have any tips on making sure the correct amount is been issued. I've used the buffer tool but it can only do so much to help if anyone has any tips it would be very helpful.

Thanks

sayber said:
Ez all I'm currently running FL Studio 5 but seem to cain my CPU with certain plug-ins & FX I may use. Is there a way inside Fruity to control how much of my CPU will be used or does anyone have any tips on making sure the correct amount is been issued. I've used the buffer tool but it can only do so much to help if anyone has any tips it would be very helpful.

Thanks
If CPU usage gets too high, I usually just bounce the sound down to audio. Then you can unload the plugins to give some CPU back to the system.

I *think* that's all you can do?

i think so too. i heard you can click somewhere on the CPU meter and itll drop things from the cache thus freeing up some memory and then theres of course smartdisable for all plugs. other than that cooledit is your friend.

i bloody wish!!! but that would sort the cpu out as it handles all of ur vst/vsti's/fx! pendulum use it i think.and u can use the oxford compressers n that......i want 1!

afaik powercore only speeds up plugins which are specifically designed to use it... so you're looking at spending even more money to buy powercore plugins.

DSP cards are a good suggestion though, i *think* the Creamware Pulsar comes in cheaper than the powercore...

could be wrong though, either way you're lookin at half a grand minimum, prob cheaper just to upgrade your CPU :D

^^^^CORRECT

powercore only offloads CPU Juice for the plugs designed for it! (I was disappointed when I found this out)

There certain tweaks you can do to make sure you PC is configured to run Audio software

ControlPanel/System

Click on the "advanced" tab

Click the Settings under the Performance box

Advanced tab again and make sure you are configured for Background Services, not Programs.

the true key is

MORE RAM (you can't ever have enough, imho)

hope that helps M8

Festa

You probably know this already and if so i'm a :gimp: !!
Ctrl+Alt+Del and stop all processes apart from neccessary ones to music.
Cancel AIM, Msnmsgr and any others you KNOW are not needed.
AIM uses about 40mg or something an msnmsgr uses 25mg or so!!!

Dj_Fozzybear said:
You probably know this already and if so i'm a :gimp: !!
Ctrl+Alt+Del and stop all processes apart from neccessary ones to music.
Cancel AIM, Msnmsgr and any others you KNOW are not needed.
AIM uses about 40mg or something an msnmsgr uses 25mg or so!!!

Yeah man they cain the CPU if I've got Fruity open, also having Limewire running sometimes is a no no. I guess I might ahve to look at upgrading my pc soon but I'll try everyones ideas out 2night & let u know how I get along.

Thanks

I had the same problem with the default selected audio device driver thing... No matter how i tweaked the buffer up or down, my cpu meter was at 90-100%.

Be sure to use the ASIO drivers if you can, i think they can scale the buffer length depending on the cpu usage. Not sure about this though but if you haven't tried this one, give it a go. At least helped me out.

Omtrak said:
I had the same problem with the default selected audio device driver thing... No matter how i tweaked the buffer up or down, my cpu meter was at 90-100%.

Be sure to use the ASIO drivers if you can, i think they can scale the buffer length depending on the cpu usage. Not sure about this though but if you haven't tried this one, give it a go. At least helped me out.

Yeah man the higher the buffer the better cpu usage but the worse midi sync on play in/record.
But the buffer set to max is still only gonna give you a little bit more CPU.
Basically its all about RAM (in Knowledge Shimon says he uses 3.5 gig of RAM!!!!) You can never have enough RAM!!

Dj_Fozzybear said:
Yeah man the higher the buffer the better cpu usage but the worse midi sync on play in/record.
Basically its all about RAM (in Knowledge Shimon says he uses 3.5 gig of RAM!!!!) You can never have enough RAM!!

giggle snicker shimon 3.5 gig ram snicker

o_O 3.5 gig of RAM..... and here's me scraping by on 512 meg.... soon to be upgraded tho.

Want a powercore on the cheap? get the PCI version, although only half as powerful. Me, id be going for the full whammy!

Dj_Fozzybear said:
Ram won't bring down the CPU usage, as fruityloops uses bugger all ram. I have a gig and rarely use 40% of it in FL.

A lot of big producers work in audio not in MIDI as fruity mainly does, and massive high quality audio tracks take up a load of ram. In fruity your samples and instruments are rarely big enough to fill your RAM.

A good soundcard and the right drivers can take the load off a bit and stop the crackling and stuttering, though you may just be using more plugins than you need.

Waves plugins are immense in terms of quality but very light on CPU

How fast is your CPU out of interest?

Serum said:
Ram won't bring down the CPU usage, as fruityloops uses bugger all ram. I have a gig and rarely use 40% of it in FL.

A lot of big producers work in audio not in MIDI as fruity mainly does, and massive high quality audio tracks take up a load of ram. In fruity your samples and instruments are rarely big enough to fill your RAM.

A good soundcard and the right drivers can take the load off a bit and stop the crackling and stuttering, though you may just be using more plugins than you need.

Waves plugins are immense in terms of quality but very light on CPU

How fast is your CPU out of interest?

That sounds like it's hitting the nail on the head, the only thing is I've got all of my samples loaded up in WAVs so that's all I can work with, I'm running a Celeron 2.6GHz chip which is defo not the best thing to run music making software on. There's a techy guy at work & he's also said about upgrading my RAM & if possible get a new processor if it will fit onto the motherboard, it's just not the right time of year to be spending out

I work on a very modest rig, and just from bouncing down raw tracks and saving the VST midi data elsewhere, you can save loads of cpu.

Also remember to do the majority of your processing post production, get your arrangement and sound solid, and when i'm happy with that I head back and start bouncing and processing.

and if it doesn't work, you've made loads of new samples and loops to use for other projects in the end.

Back
Top Bottom