Controllers of the midi kind

Discussion in 'Production' started by kama, Aug 23, 2006.

1. kama

kama benkama.net

i'm thinking about getting one, nothing big just about 250€ to spend. Was pretty keen on e-mu xboards, and i've had good experiences with e-mu in the past.

any recommendations?

and if anyone owns one of those xboards, does the controller surface really work proper?

2. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

ive got the small one and its excellent, really added something to my production

3. [Profound]

[Profound] New Member

I personally use a usb m-audio radium 49 which has 49 keys, 8 each of knobs and sliders, and an akai pro mpd16, which is basically a usb version of the mpc's 16 beat pads. Not sure quite what you're looking for, but if you want a control deck, I was eyeballing the Yamaha MW-12, good for digital multitracking. If you need a beat pad, I thought the new-ish Korg padKONTROL looked kinda spiffy. it has a 4x4 grid, an XY touch control, and built-in drum samples. if you want to combine keyboard with controls, m-audio is a good cheap bet, maybe try checking out the axiom 25 or something similar. haven't had any personal experience with the xboard, sorry.

too many choices to list, but maybe be more specific about what kind of controls you want (keys, pads, knobs/sliders, interface, etc.)

4. kama

kama benkama.net

WELL i was gliding towards the xboard because i have absolutely no experience about midi gear (it has 16 knobs and a 61 key bed). It ships with a neat little program that lets you make presets for 16 (times four i think) most used plugins and instruments and change them with a push of a button. So that nooblike ease of use is a big thing for me. But thanks for the info, i'll have to look into those.

Another mystery to me is how you use more than one controller on my machine, since my audio interface only has 1 in and 1 out. is the answer in USB?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2006
  5. logikz

yep, xboards go in the usb kama

6. kama

kama benkama.net

7. logikz

never did use the little proggy that comes with it though, i should probably have a look at it but it felt pretty arbitrary to say the least. let me know how you get on with it.