Contract Advice

John Doe1

Hi

I was looking for some advice on my current situation. I'm not sure which section this should be posted in so apologies if the wrong one.

I am new to making dnb and back in September was approached by a semi- established label about releasing some tracks - lots of toing and froing of e-mails as we discussed the tracks. I signed an online contract for 4 tracks (though this contract was very basic). I then sent them the unmastered tracks.
Over the following weeks nothing seemed to happen. I was promised mastered tracks to listen to and artwork to look at. E-mail contact went silent and then every now and then was told I would receive something in a few days.
Anyway, that was almost 2 months ago. I have since released another track with a different label which took about 3 weeks from me sending masters to release. Because I'm new to this I don't know the norm with how long this should take. I have my doubts whether this release will happen and not pleased with their communication.

I have had other offers for these tracks that this label is sitting on, but my main question is whether I can pull out of this contract and go with someone else and also stop this original label then putting my tracks out. Or whether it's quite normal for a release to take this long.
My experiences with the 2nd label were the exact opposite. Brilliant communications and professional service.

I'm having to post anonomously due to the nature of this.

Thanks for any advice

Nobody is going to sue you.... but it may not look great if he gives his side of the story.

I did something similar early in my production career and it turned out the label owner had been having family problems, you can imagine how this looked...

So yeah, I would be patient but once you're at 6 months or so send a polite message and go elsewhere with them?

To add more information... real life happens and the amount of time it takes to sort releases varies massively. One thing to remember is you aren't going to be rich and you will keep making tunes. Focus on new material and don't worry too much about these previous tracks for now.

Last edited:
Nobody is going to sue you.... but it may not look great if he gives his side of the story.

I did something similar early in my production career and it turned out the label owner had been having family problems, you can imagine how this looked...

So yeah, I would be patient but once you're at 6 months or so send a polite message and go elsewhere with them?

To add more information... real life happens and the amount of time it takes to sort releases varies massively. One thing to remember is you aren't going to be rich and you will keep making tunes. Focus on new material and don't worry too much about these previous tracks for now.

Thanks for the reply.
Best I just forget about those tracks for the time being. Although I'm pretty certain there are no family issues. They seem pretty active on social media - who knows!

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom