contents of a dj set

hektik

what does (in your opinion) a dj set neccessarily contain to kick butt?
i mean things like intro, breaks, suspense curves etc.

it needs good tunes :)
and if it is mixed poorly i will yell and scream.. or laugh if they are a big name.. either way its all fun

It needs to be effective for the occasion. If it is on the Internet, it needs to be cool to listen to at home, in the car, with a varied selection. If at a club or a party, it needs to make people dance.

Nuff said.

freeagent said:
It needs to be effective for the occasion. If it is on the Internet, it needs to be cool to listen to at home, in the car, with a varied selection. If at a club or a party, it needs to make people dance.

Nuff said.

"Dance like no one is watchin"
:rave:
:hotpants:
:gaywhite:
:miss_rep:
:bounce:
:banana:
:jackson:

:beers:

Last edited:
hektik said:
i mean things like intro, breaks, suspense curves etc.

I think the intro has gotta be exciting & gripping just so you catch the attention of the listener straight away. Then if you found the right formula you can watch and see how the crowd are reacting for the next track.

hektik said:
Records from 91, 92, 93, or 94 that I haven't heard before.

I say you need to take the audience on a ride with ultra smooth mixing, or you can go for the combinations of tracks to make interesting clashes and doing tricks and so on.

You have to use tracks that complement each other, like blending something with a real basic but massive beat with something that has a real rapid fire but quite light one, or a real minimal track with a real melodic one, or tracks with real deep basslines so you can do switches without it being confusing in the midrange.

I often find that back2backs are good to learn this, as you have to match someone else's tracks with your own, so you got to think extra hard about how they'll go together

Back
Top Bottom