Constant humming?

ZackMRG

Circles are Pointless
VIP Junglist
Just recorded a new mix to find that when I listen back to it there seems be a constant hum in the background which kills off the mids and trebs and leaves the mix overly bassy and flat. Tried re-recording through the Booth and Master outputs but its still there, brand new ortofon needles too so my only guess is that its the mixer itself.

Any idea what it could be? Im pretty shit at electronics unfortunately, could probably have a go at soldering something, but anything other than that and id be pretty out of my league.

A couple possible scenarios:

• There could be an issue with your turntable's grounding cable. Check the tip to make sure there is no rust or issue with the grounding "hook."
  • There could be some oxidation (rust) on the contact points where you input your ortonfon's into the tone arm. This can disrupt the current.
  • Could be a grounding issue with your audio cables. Are you using RCAs or a 2 to 1 (RCAs to 1/8" jack) to record the mix? These can often cause a hum, as they're not grounded and are prone to pickup electrical interference and computer noise. If possible, use 1/4" cables (balanced) or XLRs to record as these types of connections are grounded.

Cheers.

Humm = Ground issue

Before anything is the laptop plugged in? try unplugging it and rec.

Check all connections elimnate each item and then check the next...

What is the enitre setup too this might shed some clues...

laptop plugged in while recording?

if so thats your problem. try it without the power supply.
some laptops are funny like that

Back
Top Bottom