Consolidate: First Attempt

druu

Hi, just recently getting into drum and bass, still learning the various styles but I've made an attempt at trying to produce a track. I've been producing tunes for a few years now but mostly indie/electro, etc. My bro (a long time dnb'r) sent me Danny Byrd - Labyrinth and I think I'm hooked now. :)

Anyways, have a listen. It's still in early stages but I think I've already made it too crowded (yet to put vox) but I've lost interest in this particular track but have started another three. :)

http://www.amnet.net.au/~amunday/music/Consolidate.mp3

Cheers.

if this is your first dnb tune...

then im stunned mate...

how long have you spent working on this???

if this is your first attempt at a drumandbass tune im gonna say your a natural. straight up

1st off not a big fan of the snare-but thats just pref
structure sounds well put together -and all in all nice and clean
not my bag but sounds good for first dnb tune

Thanks for the replies.

I spent a weekend on this one. I'm no stranger to production and have been producing for around 5 years, finally taking a dip into dnb though.

You're right about the snare, I've only layered two samples for that snare and the drum bus compressor could do with some better tweaking.

I think I need to work with more samples for some of the sounds. The 'string' sounds I used are soft synths and they sound too clean, even with some slight tape saturation.

More comments welcome!

Thanks for the replies.

I spent a weekend on this one. I'm no stranger to production and have been producing for around 5 years, finally taking a dip into dnb though.

You're right about the snare, I've only layered two samples for that snare and the drum bus compressor could do with some better tweaking.

I think I need to work with more samples for some of the sounds. The 'string' sounds I used are soft synths and they sound too clean, even with some slight tape saturation.

More comments welcome!

ah i see. 5 years behind you puts you ahead of most people who start producing dnb from nothing. it can be quite bad somtimes.
no wonder!

i would like to hear a real deep pad added to the mix atleast over the intro just to give it that extra bottom layer u know? bit of depth.

needs a bit more splash to it aswell maybe another break or some ride cymbals with a bit of verb and this tune cud be really wicked!!

really gd stuff

nice tune mate i like it. try putting in some louder hats or maybe a hi end break behind your drums, it feels like there might be a certain energy missing from the tune.
I like the tune, and the bass patch is pretty sweet!

Cheers. :) I think I'm going to redo a few bits and give it a better mix. I've removed the break loops I used and will try to create my own shuffle to it (I've relied on loops for shuffles so far, feels like I'm cheating!).

I used Massive for the bass, still learning it but the performer function is great. :)

well, its pretty obvious you are familiar with producing. the track is a little crowded for me when it drops, and i agree that the snares could be adjusted. that being said, i hope you keep writing more drum and bass, because i think you could be really successful at it...

yer, nice work man, can defo tell you know your eq'ing, becuase the sounds all sound as they should , liking the pan/delay effect on the hi stab traveling across my room! kl tune man!
Keep it up!

Drums are quite tight, they are pretty clean too. Eq on them i would personaly have a lot different though to make it beefier, i think the drums defo need more layers too to fill them out properly

the way the chords come in is nice, drops in soon after. Needs to build a bit more imo

Bass is kool not mixed to badly i think its an octave to high in most places though would sound better down an oct.

Oh was that not a drop? Theres another bit now the synth work here in this part is koooool man, good knowledge of music theory? cos uve workd them well, if thats down to your ear then good on ya man

defo not bad AT ALL man, 1st time thats pretty sleeek mate!

Good effort

Nice track mate.

The bass is nice and clean, it really suits the pads in this track.

Only thing I would say about this one is as others have said, then beats need working on a bit more, there isn't enough layers to fill out the track.

Wow thanks for all the feedback! I gotta say I've never received this much feedback before, very productive and inspiring, awesome. Will try to finish the track over the weekend for ya's. :)

Back
Top Bottom