Consequence DOA Q&A

DjTiesticles

VIP Junglist
DOA: One thing that amazes us is when an artist comes out of the gate with a truly inspiring album, so we thank you first for Live For Never. Break down to us how you got into Drum & Bass, and who were some of your favorite producers and/or DJs.

Consequence: I found Drum & Bass when I was quite young, it had such an intensity that really grabbed me, yet at the same time there was a great musical quality to it. I think Goldie gave me my first taste of the sound through his album Timeless. A little bit later on I discovered guys such as Krust, Source Direct and Future Forces.

DOA: Many make the transition from DJ to producer, but end up making more dancefloor-bangin' tunes. Your approach was admittedly different – you start outside of the box, but try to make music that can be enjoyed on many levels. How hard is it to keep all of that in mind when writing music?

Consequence: To be honest, I don't really keep anything in mind when I'm working on music. I just try to let the tune develop in its own way. This helps me get out of working with the same ideas continuously and hopefully create something a bit different to the last tune. As a DJ, I do still like to get the dancefloor banging, the music I make doesn't necessarily directly relate to my DJ sets. I love to cross many styles and genres within a set.

DOA: It must be an honor to not only be dropping an album on dBridge's Exit label, but to have tunes with him, ASC and Instra:mental on that very album! Does any of this seem surreal – the idea of being into a producer at one point, but then becoming friends and working on tunes with that same producer?

Consequence: Its definitively an honour, Exit has been my favourite label since it was conceived in 2003. The process of writing an LP was quite surreal, but only in the sense that it came together very naturally, which still surprises me to an extent. I am very happy to be working on music with the Autonomic Family.

DOA: How would you describe Live For Never to someone who’s never heard your music before?

Consequence: Drum & Bass cross-pollinated with Blues, Fairy Tales and Love songs.

DOA: How long had you been working on writing Live For Never? Did you turn in a completed project to dBridge?

Consequence: I started the first tune for the LP at the end of 2008, it took me a good 8 months or so to get the whole thing done.

DOA: We know its probably too forward to be asking, but do you have any new music lined up after the release of the album? Any touring?

Consequence: I haven't stopped writing music since the LP was finished. I wanted to take a break for a while, but it didn’t happen that way. "Dreadtone" b/w "Timeloss" will be out early 2010 on Darkestral Excursions, as well as some work for Non Plus+. I have started the next LP already which will be coming through Exit again in 2010.

DOA: There have been a number of DJs championing your sound – which has surprised you the most?

Consequence: There's no one that has surprised me, music should be versatile as should a DJ. So even though someone may play a sound that appears different to my own, I believe that my music can fit into any DJ's set somewhere sometime.

DOA: A number of your tracks can be lumped into the "minimal" category, a sound that's been up for debate lately on Dogs On Acid. How do you feel about the minimal movement within Drum & Bass, and do you feel you're a part of it?

Consequence: I don't know if I want to be part of any movement, perhaps would rather be part of music as a whole. I think there is a lot of confusion around the term minimal, there are a lot of tunes out there that do have a really minimal techno feel to them, but I'm not sure if I would class much of my music into this idea. In the end, it’s all Drum & Bass and to me that's just a tempo.

DOA: Are you still an active DJ? If so, where can heads hear you spin?

Consequence: Yes, I play out quite often. Living in Melbourne, Australia at the moment, so if you are around these ways come along to our night Polaroid @ Miss Libertine. I will be heading to UK/Europe for the Live For Never Tour in Feb. 2010.

DOA: Do you have any shouts or final faults before we wrap this up?

Consequence: Shouts to my NZ bros, Ollie Cern and Nate Phantom, as well as the Melbourne crew, Joe Seven and Lowqui, the Autonomic Family and Alicia @ ESP International.

Another album to come in 2010. Can't wait to see how he is going to follow up Live For Never because that is going to be a really hard task

I just don't get the fuss over Consequence, I expected a lot more ; imo this album really is boring.. I only like one tune :Z but well I guess while reading a book it must be ok.

Big upz anywayz.

I just don't get the fuss over Consequence, I expected a lot more ; imo this album really is boring.. I only like one tune :Z but well I guess while reading a book it must be ok.

Big upz anywayz.

I agree. Needs more wobbly basslines, fart noises, generic film samples, a couple of tracks featuring Skibba and a dubstep tune

No, I ain't kidding. Don't get me wrong I generally like that kind of stuff but this just has nothing interesting in it.

Maybe if I buy the album I'll like it ; but still it is a boring album imHo.

Deffo up there with one of the best albums of the year for me! & Terra boring? C'mon... just because its not the generic dnb everyone else makes. Think you need to buy it and listen all the way through before you can say that. Consequence...... :applause:

Trust Terra, I thought exactly the same as you before I brought it. listened to the samples on the internet and it didn't really excite me. Still, I brought it on wax anyway. After buying it and listening to it from beginning to end, i can honestly say that this is artist album of the year for me. Fantastic piece of work. So progressive for dnb.

Trust Terra, I thought exactly the same as you before I brought it. listened to the samples on the internet and it didn't really excite me. Still, I brought it on wax anyway. After buying it and listening to it from beginning to end, i can honestly say that this is artist album of the year for me. Fantastic piece of work. So progressive for dnb.

Not really all that progressive I don't think, but a very good album nonetheless.

I can see why you think its boring if you are after typical dnb and want to dance to it, but this is dnb only by tempo and in some instances structure, otherwise it strays from punchy drums and hard bass in your face.

It is a good album for a long drive, a comedown, just chilling too.

Nah, I like every kind of dnb and I generally really like that minimal stuff, but this ain't doing it for me right now, surely a grower by reading your comments. Didn't like that Perez album at first, but still I ended up buying it :D

Still, tiesticles just don't attack me like you have the absolute truth and those that don't have the same opinion as you should die.

:>

Back
Top Bottom