connecting studio monitors to your pc... ?

chromey

a.k.a Impact
VIP Junglist
Alright guys.
Whats the best way to connect studio monitors to a PC soundcard?
I keep seeing that the monitors have XLR inputs, but obviously the sound card has stereo phono out (my soundcard has a front bay with L/R phonos too)

Is it as simple as getting hold of a a XLR>Phono connector from Maplins?

Last edited:
that doesnt really answer my question.

Looking here, http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Audiophile2496.html I can see the 2496 has less outputs on the rear than the front panel on my terratec DMX card.

I've just never dealt with cabling using XLR.
SO i ask again; whats the best way to cable up from PC (by whatever means) to XLR on the back of the monitors?

ahhh you never told me that....

ok, do believe you can get phono to xlr leads (if you cant, its not hard to make a couple) but..... you need to check that if the monitors will accept an unbalanced input signal

if not then like others have said... get a mixer.... the tapco mix series seem pretty good for the money, last time i checked the mix50 was stupidly cheap, having said that, this was last year, prices on studio gear have shot up since then

oh btw.... maplins is shit and expensive.... ebay is probably the best place for leads ;)

bugger, just had another look at the specs of the monitors I was thinking of; YAMAHA HS50M, and noted this:
Inputs include a balanced XLR and 1/4 inch phone jack.

So I guess that means a mixer is a must then.

Back
Top Bottom