Connecting an EMU Sampler to PC.

Robmobius

Hey all,

Need your advice yet again. :)

Just got my mitts on a pretty cheap EMU 6400 Ultra from Ebay. As I don't have a "floppy drive" anymore on my PC, would anyone be able to tell me the best way to connect it to my PC (windows Vista). I know there's a SCSI connection but I'm not too familiar with what I need to get.

Thanks!

Rob.

SCSI cards can get expensive and take up pci slots. There are supposedly USB-SCSI adapters out there as well, but you'd be better off just sampling stuff straight into it. Connect the sampling inputs to your soundcard outputs (or an alternative output on your audio interface to make the setup a bit more flexible). Drive one-shots through it, use the Exciter on breaks, sample basses etc. SCSI would be useful when you're editing the samples, if that's even possible - the small screen and a datawheel are not exactly the fastest and most precise tool to chop breaks for example.

I have a vanilla model E4X, and I've gotten to use it more and more lately. I have the 8 outputs connected to my mixer, and the sampling inputs are fed from it's ALT OUT, which will let me sample anythign that comes into the mixer (mic, pc, vinyl, even radio :P) with the flip of a switch.

edit: Oh right, you'll need a midi controller to operate it too, or at least you'll have to connect your audio interface's midi out to the midi in on the sampler.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom