Confused.com, USB Sound card + New Needles

Discussion in 'DJ's, MC's & Turntablism' started by LTJ, Mar 18, 2010.

1. LTJ

LTJ Active Member

Ok, i seem to have an issue with my connection from my mixer to my laptop when recording a mix, i get terrible feedback when the power supply is plugged into my laptop? when i take it out all is fine??

Anyway, i figured to combat this it might be a good idea to get a usb sound card i also need some new needles, so basically id like to know

1) what USB Sound card should i get or am i missing the point with the feedback with the laptop? im connecting the output of my mixer to the mic on the laptop? 2 x RCA into one small headphone jack? what am i doing wrong?

2) Which needles do you recommend? the quality of sound is fast deteriorating and its doing my nut in! lol

cheers

2. HarryArcher

HarryArcher beats breaks & basslines

i have the feedback problem. mines more like a hum. sounds a bit like the fan but you can hear it on the mix. do u think a soundcard will solve this?

any carts you buy watch out for the price of replacement needles, as they're the real killer. I have ortofons os's myself like alot of people, but find.. if you have it on the proper weight setting, that they're wicked for a fair while and then detoriate very quickly and dont track as good. sound quality is good as long as your records are in good condition. If they're in poor condition this translates through the speakers.

3. DTR

DTR the village idiot

Getting noise from the power supply is a very common problem. Soundcards in laptops are notoriously shit too so a USB card might help. I don't think it will cure the noise but can't you run off battery power? That's what my missus did to get around it. You need to run into a Line input on your soundcard. Your mic input may or may not double as a line input so you need to check this.

For carts I recommend Shure M35Xs, they are cheap but are one of the better sounding DJ carts.

4. LTJ

LTJ Active Member

Cheers for both your responses, my laptop battery is so rubbish it only lasts an hour or so at the most, im worried about doing a mix and then loosing it if the laptop dies! ill let you know my findings on a usb soundcard, talking to a few other peeps apparently that could be the way to go and if that means i can keep the power lead in then all good!

5. Teddy

Teddy 60% Staff Member

i had the feedback problem with my old laptop... an external usb soundcard was an improvement when the power supply was plugged in but there was still some feedback... best thing i could suggest is a nice new battery!

6. DJRefixdnb

DJRefixdnb Evasive Action CEO

for a soundcard i'd recommend one of these : http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR195400
    perfect to record CD quality from ur setup, dj or production-wise.

if you are using a laptop, you will always get a feedback hum when using a usb soundcard, or even if you just plug a phono to mini-jack cable in your laptops built in card.

one of these will stop the hum completely, highly recommended...
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Link-quality-ground-isolator-201-086/dp/B000NVWB9O

or use a desktop pc, and you wont get the humming, i cant remember the reason laptops do this, something to do with the power supply, cuz when you unplug the power pack from the laptop, you will notice the hum stops aswell, but obviously you dont want to record an hour mix and loose it cuz ur battery runs out..

hope this helps.

7. simon_schoon

simon_schoon Member

You will get the feedback problem with virtually all laptops on power, mine does i just record on the battery, afraid thats the only way. With needles its all about Shure M44-7s!!!!

8. DJRefixdnb

DJRefixdnb Evasive Action CEO

as i said, one of these will stop the hum completely, highly recommended...
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Link-quality.../dp/B000NVWB9O

9. LTJ

LTJ Active Member

Su-bloody perb, and cheap as well :) i like that!!!

Again thanks for all the response's has absolutly been doing my head in, not recorded a mix for aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages! nice one

10. MARLZTAH

MARLZTAH ++DuB PrOFesSoR++

heres a few things to try... may help or may not.....

when power supply is plugged in, make sure the transformer is as far away from the laptop, mixer, decks and any audio cables as possible

also try plugging in your laptop on a separate circuit in the house by using an extension lead