condenser microphones (what one?......)

Rode NT1A or NT2A is a good mic, I think they sell it in a package with an anti vibration mount too which is cool. AKG are good too, just try look for some reviews.

The C3000's a nice mic, do you already have a preamp which can provide phantom power? If not, something like the link in the post above would be a better option for what you want to spend.

Rode NT1A or NT2A is a good mic, I think they sell it in a package with an anti vibration mount too which is cool. AKG are good too, just try look for some reviews.

the NT1a is a no brainer, like mentioned get the Rode anniversary edition. A free mount and pop filter etc.

Super low self noise (5DBa) and decent overal quality. Perfect for recording voice but also foley.

I've used AKG C2000 which was very good quality, not perhaps as accurate for small voice sampling (tried to sample water drops haha) but a good mic nevertheless. I'm not sure if it's in any way related to your choice but at least AKG is good quality. I love their headphone range too.

buy this. no two ways a stunning mic

http://www.dv247.com/microphones/sennheiser-mk-4-studio-condenser-microphone--81745

It will walk all over any rode/se/at mic all day while whistling its creamy chocolate character.

Also if you look around there's a bundle with a rycote shockmount (it just comes with a clip otherwise).
And i realise this is over your budget but a cheap mic is a waste of money. save a little more and get something that actually sounds good.

buy this. no two ways a stunning mic

http://www.dv247.com/microphones/sennheiser-mk-4-studio-condenser-microphone--81745

It will walk all over any rode/se/at mic all day while whistling its creamy chocolate character.

Also if you look around there's a bundle with a rycote shockmount (it just comes with a clip otherwise).
And i realise this is over your budget but a cheap mic is a waste of money. save a little more and get something that actually sounds good.

LOL... Really? Ever tried the Nt1a? Saying it's a waste of money is just mad. I am a sound designer by profession and I know a number of people using the nt1a professionally next to neumanns and dpa's alike. https://pantherfile.uwm.edu/type/www/audio-reports/Rode_NT1-A_Mics/NT1-A-field-recordings.htm

A rycote alone can set you back a decent mic. Rode makes very good products, and the high end stuff is just for a lucky view.

@OP: the nt1a is very versatile. Voice and instruments are fine. You can also record very quiet sounds due to it's low self noise. It is however a large diaphragm so will pick up the neighbors tv and you pc fan. A nice overhead but not so great for a kick drum ;) read up about differences between large diapragms, omni etc - This will make a huge difference.

depending on whether you need the extreme highs (crash cymbals, hihats etc...) you might be better off getting an SM57 and spending the difference on a preamp. Condensers are going to pick up every little bit of noise around you, whereas with a dynamic, it's only really going to record what's in front of it, and the frequency range you are likely to be recording isn't as big as you probably think it is. SM57's will tolerate nearly 100db SPL too, so that's most bases covered, although the NT1a does tolerate up to 137db (ie standing next to a jet.) I've never known anybody have a problem with with SM though, and what with digital processing at your fingertips, there really isn't a noticeable quality difference any more.

LOL... Really? Ever tried the Nt1a? Saying it's a waste of money is just mad. I am a sound designer by profession and I know a number of people using the nt1a professionally next to neumanns and dpa's alike. https://pantherfile.uwm.edu/type/www/audio-reports/Rode_NT1-A_Mics/NT1-A-field-recordings.htm

A rycote alone can set you back a decent mic. Rode makes very good products, and the high end stuff is just for a lucky view.

Yea i work in a shop selling the above mics and i've tried them all. i wouldn't call £250 high end and the rycote deal makes the mic £329. A waste of money may be a bit harsh but they are particularly bad mics (ever opened one?). even compared to a chinese made SE2200a they sound harsh and brittle.

Yea i work in a shop selling the above mics and i've tried them all. i wouldn't call £250 high end and the rycote deal makes the mic £329. A waste of money may be a bit harsh but they are particularly bad mics (ever opened one?). even compared to a chinese made SE2200a they sound harsh and brittle.

I never said £330 is a high end mic, but you were simply saying that it's a waste of money. A mic with the response and low self noise for the price of the nt1a its simply great for the buck. particularly bad mic? Come on. it's £140. You give that advice at work too?

rode-nt1a-frequency-response.jpg

self noise............ whats the self noise of a u67? whats the frequency response of an r-121?

if you want my advice then pay the extra £100 for the mk-4

Back
Top Bottom