Computerized, Distorted vocals?

Discussion in 'Production' started by Nicholas Stigma, May 6, 2012.

1. Nicholas Stigma

Nicholas Stigma STEADY ON OL' CHAP

It begins on 1:05

I wonder how do you computerize vocals, can I just simply import a sample, link it to a mixer and then play a bit with the filtering?
    Or you need a vocoder?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
  2. spyre

spyre sample all the things

Sounds like a synth to me

3. Skuff

Skuff Well-Known Member

Sounds heavily vocoded to me. (the vocal at 1.26) can't here any vocal at 1.04 on my phone though

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  4. marcelkennard

marcelkennard Storms comin in Annie

5. Attire

Attire Last Winter

I think you can timestretch vocals and achieve some weird effects like this.

6. Ritual

Ritual Member

how about using a Vowel filter. i know the PSP WOW filter has a vowel filter section...

7. lostnthesound

lostnthesound Burns Easily in the Sun

In music, those vowel sounds are what are referred to as "formants" and essentially are made up of the dominant part of speech–vowel sounds (a,e,i,o,u). These vowel sounds of course directly correlate to musical scales, the most basic of which is Cmaj (C = doh, D = re, E=me,etc.).

Those "talking" synths you hear via Massive, Predator, etc. are using formants to create the "voice" you hear. Try running your vocal through a vocoder that contains some type of formant filter in the signal path. Or, experiment with the formant and performer within Massive for some interesting results.

8. Salvus

Salvus Member

Lost, you never fail to amaze me with your depth of knowledge! A real production section hero!
    Can't actually listen to the tune at the moment but I guess playing with a vocoder would be a good start. Design your synth sound and then use the vocoder to merge the vocal with it.
    I've got a vocoder in my korg R3 which is pretty cool (not that I've made anything too usefull with it...fun though)

But tbh, lost said it all...and more! :)

9. lostnthesound

lostnthesound Burns Easily in the Sun

Thanks for the kind words Salvus, I greatly appreciate it!

To add a bit more info about the usefulness of formants, it's good practice when trying to achieve the infamous "chopped vocal" effect to pick out the parts of the vocal where the emphasis is placed on the vowels (i.e. formants). You'll achieve the best results when rearranging them to create a rhythmic pattern. Furthermore, you'll get the best results when running formants through a vocoder to emphasize the sound.

Next time you hear a track with the chopped/stuttering vocal, take note as to what sounds you're hearing...there's a 99.9% they're a vowel.

Cheers!