computer problems (freeze) upgrade

Discussion in 'Production' started by zenzien, Jan 30, 2011.

1. zenzien

zenzien New Member

I have a dell dimension 2400 2.39 ghz,256 mb or ram , i use Ableton live for production when i start making a track i really like my computer freeze's on me , & i do freeze all my tracks on Ableton & it still freeze's on my should i just get more memory on my computer will it make a big difference ,do any of you experience the same F***** problem . i want to get a new computer ASP for music ,graphics ,video,ext, i was thinking of an( HP ) is it a good computer to buy or not ? also what about building it from scratch i heard you can save lots of money and get a top notch computer , i dont know all that much about comp to build my own , i was checking out on lifehacker.com how you can built a HACKINTOSH MAC for under 800$ the problem whit building a hackintosh is its illegal , have you built your own computer ? any feed back appreciated .

2. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

It may be a simple latency issue. Check your buffer size on your sound driver and turn it up a little if nescessary.

3. jimjimjim

jimjimjim oldskool

256MB of RAM - jesus man get some more ram. :eek:
    dont know what operating system you are running with 256MB - XP would struggle with that.
    Seriuosly you need at least 1G to comfortably run most OS - if you got vista then 2.
    I mean you could probably run windows 98 with that but thats still way too low.
    By the sound of it its a really old PC - get a new one.

4. BLoodstaiN`

BLoodstaiN` Member

If you're going to buy a new pc, make sure, you have a GOOD soundcard, and a heavy processor. And don't buy HP pc's, or pc's assembled by big companies. (Except alienware, those are sick) they suck big time.
    Build on yourself. I mean, choose all the parts yourself and assemble them.
    If you're gonna build one yourself, be careful with what you choose, especially on:
    - Motherboard
    - Processor
    (Make sure your motherboard has the right chipset for your processor or you're fucked)
    - Soundcard
    - Memory

Once again, Make sure your processor & Motherboard are fine, and look for a Motherboard that lets you get the most out of your Processor.
    It's a fault i made, i bought a cheaper Motherboard and i can't get the fullest out of my quad-core, so look out for that.
    Hope this helps you in your choice in the future

5. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

you need at least 1GB RAM to use Ableton properly

disagreeing with Bloodstian, although there are far better options that pre-built systems, if you dont know much about pc's, thena pre-built system will save you having to learn about computers and production which are both 2 huge topics, as you learn the software you'll get to know what is good and bad hardware, if you get into it properly then you can spend ££ on a decent setup, but you dont need to spend more than £5-600 to get a good enough computer. Dual Core 2.4ghz minium, quad if you can strech to it, 2GB memory minimum, couple of hard-drives @ 7200 or 10,000rpm, and an Audiophile 2496, wont set you back a huge amount and will keep you going for a while

Forget Hackintosh for music production, chances are something vital wont work, stick with windows, XP is fine, I still use XP64, ableton seems buggy as hell in Windows7 to me

6. kuthoerrr89

kuthoerrr89 Member

This.

Also, I have built quite alot of computers myself, including my own and all the computers in my house. For this you need the knowledge and time to know what you want. I myself am not a fan of complete PC's like HP, Dell, Compaq etc but in your case it would'nt hurt you.

Every PC that you can buy in stores have atleast 2GB of memory so you will be alright with that. Just replace the OS (test it first with ableton) Windows 7 with Vista (I use it, no problems here whatsover) or XP 64bit.

Hope this helps you.

7. zenzien

zenzien New Member

thanks everyone for your advice

8. ARTFX

ARTFX www.artfx-studios.com

Don't use Vista, Vista is full of all little background processes running which eat up your CPU.
    Windows XP or Windows 7 will be better but still quite some background processes.

The best will be a cleaned up version of XP or Windows 7 which doesn't has all the little background processes.
    I'm running a stripped down version of XP 64-bit and the same stripped down version in 32-bit in a Dual Boot setup.
    Next to that all the little things like visual graphics are turned off, so no animations when changing screens, no XP look but the old win 95 look.
    This really changed the speed of my workflow, all these little things make a big difference all together.

Next always make sure your hardware is good enough.

A dual core pc is good to start with, but an 4 or 8 core will be much better.
    Then a good processor is needed as well as enough RAM, about 2 GB will be good to start, but having 8 GB of RAM is always good.
    Then be sure you've got a lot of harddisk space, because audio takes a lot of space.
    Final things like your soundcard and monitors are important.

9. obscure

obscure Member

This.

10. kuthoerrr89

kuthoerrr89 Member

Any computer you buy now will have no problems running Vista, the things that vista runs in the background are not annoying at all. I use Vista and with a decent computer it's a good OS.

Also 8gb RAM is def an overkill so just get 4gb of RAM and spend the rest on your soundcard.

11. kama

kama benkama.net

I have to agree that Win 7 (with gfx & other candy turned off) is way faster to operate than Vista. It is after all a slicked up version of Vista.

12. kuthoerrr89

kuthoerrr89 Member

Yeah i'm sure, but i'm just saying that Vista isn't a bad OS if you have a decent PC.

13. ARTFX

ARTFX www.artfx-studios.com

Dude listen, if you take all that CPU that Vista uses for the not needed background processes, that is quite a lot if you compare it with XP or Win 7.
    I would rather have less background processes and the ability to use more plugins without the need to constantly resample.
    And believe me, I have a pretty decent desktop which had Vista installed, but I changed it back to XP.

So f you look at it like that, yes it is a bad OS. Win 7 does hat Vista failed at.

Oohw and 8 Gb is not bad at all, it costs you only €150,- these days for pretty good RAM memory. You'll get 4 times a 2 Gb RAM stick or that.
    I work a lot with plugins, the most synthesis based plugins use your CPU, but if you use a lot of sample based plugins for acoustic instruments like guitars and piano's it's a different story.
    CPU is used for processing the audio, while RAM memory is used to store processed audio, so sample based plugins use more RAM than CPU this because all the samples are loaded in the RAM memory.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011