Computer Music November - VIP SERIES: OPTIV & BTK 800 free samples

Damn, i was planning to skip it because there wasn't anything for more to look forward to. Now that this is known, sexual favours will be performed for anybody who is willing to PM me into the issues vault when it is released ;)

I just got my computer music November and the DVD did not have those optiv btk samples....
I am confused... Only had "epic fantasy", "classic bonus techno collection" and "classic bonus drum samples".
Why??!?!

I just got my computer music November and the DVD did not have those optiv btk samples....
I am confused... Only had "epic fantasy", "classic bonus techno collection" and "classic bonus drum samples".
Why??!?!

Thats the November issue 197, which was released this month. The December issue 198 is the one which will be released Nov 6th, which will have the Optiv & BTK samples.

thats great promo and all and im not against this haha. Just saying why would anyone want to use someone elses samplings? I mean its cool, and fun, but still makes no sense to me, when you can make your own sounds. Im sure the sounds are VERY highly top notch, lol its optiv and btk what else do you expect?! But idk Im not even trying to make a point hahaha. Well i guess my point is i just dont get the point of downloading other peeps samples! and using them! :P Personally id just use snares and kicks and hi hats but thats just me :P

It is true it gets it out to the community and helps out a LOT and actually its a great thing lmaoo! like i said im not against it, just still like ???? i dont get it...

thats great promo and all and im not against this haha. Just saying why would anyone want to use someone elses samplings? I mean its cool, and fun, but still makes no sense to me, when you can make your own sounds. Im sure the sounds are VERY highly top notch, lol its optiv and btk what else do you expect?! But idk Im not even trying to make a point hahaha. Well i guess my point is i just dont get the point of downloading other peeps samples! and using them! :P Personally id just use snares and kicks and hi hats but thats just me :P

It is true it gets it out to the community and helps out a LOT and actually its a great thing lmaoo! like i said im not against it, just still like ???? i dont get it...

You really think you make your own sounds ? If you come up with sounds no one else has make before you, then you can say you make your own sounds, but as long as your results sound like the sounds of thousand others then you just good in replicating them.

We all cooking with the same ingredients because the music we make has its sound, and just those who can present them in a new dress is standing out.

It's not a big deal to create phat sounds with massive as example. If massive would not have all these waveforms which are made to get those heavy sounds easier things would look diffrent.

Back then we had no access to any tutorials and we were forced to learn how to make the sounds ourselfs we heard on records. And with the time this has become, because of some stupid idiots, make your own sounds otherwise you are a cheater.

I know a lot production secrets of popular producers and i can tell you, the big ones are the first ones getting the newest sample packs to check if they find any usable samples for their productions. And if they find some, doesen't matter if breaks, bass sounds or fx stuff, you can be sure they gonna use them.

And in my expirience the people who are working also with samples making bigger steps overall, then those cooking just with their "own made" sounds !

At the end just the musical result counts and no ones cares how you reached your goal, except a few nobody's living in a illusion !

Not sure what's not to get.

Electronic music–no matter what genre/subgenre–was founded on sampling whether it be vinyl, cassette, etc. Tunes were created using a combination of said samples as well as original compositions via live drummers and good ol' fashion synthesis. In this day in a age it's a bit harder to simply rip a sample from an old vinyl recording (or other medium) without fearing the possibility of backlash in the form of a copyright infringement or other legality. Why then is it a problem to make use of royalty-free, legal samples that have been created? It's a bit hypocritical for one to complain about the use of samples from sample packs, yet believe that sampling/ripping from a recording is acceptable.

Furthermore, as I've said in a previous post many moons ago, the use of samples in music is analogous to cooking. If you put someone who doesn't know shit into a kitchen at a Michelin Star restaurant and provide them access to every ingredient known to man, what do you think you'll end up with? Inedible shit or a peanut butter sandwich at best. The point is that just because someone has all the tools at their disposal doesn't mean they're going to be able to use them in a manner that will prove to be effective. The same goes for a new producer who buys a thousand sample packs and dumps them all into a DAW–it's going to sound like incoherent shit. There's more to creating a song then simply dumping in samples: tuning, arranging (and rearranging), EQing, compressing...then throw in the fact that you're going to need to write a good synth melody to compliment those pieces and hopefully, hopefully, you end up something that may turn into a finished project...but probably not. However, the means in which you manipulate those samples in conjunction with your own original patches, melodies, chords, etc. are in the end what makes someone a good producer–and if you're lucky, you do it in a manner that makes people turn their head and notice that you have a unique "sound."

I'm not advocating that people go out and purchase construction kits, dump the stems in a DAW and call it day–that's just lazy and will only take you so far. What I'm saying is that, in my humble opinion, taking samples, loops, hits, etc. from a pack and then eqing, effecting, chopping, resampling, etc. to fit within the context of your tune should not be looked down upon considering one of the fundamental aspects of electronic music is using samples. It just happens that now we have access to a lot more samples that we don't need to get cleared or pay royalties for their use.

Finally, someone like myself–a father of two very young kids, has a full-time job in addition to DJing corporate & private gigs about 35 weekends out of the year–doesn't have time to sit around for hours creating drums from scratch and field recording the sounds from shaking a bag of dicks to create an impulse response for reverb. When I have precious studio time from 10 pm to 3 am, I'm chopping the fuck out of some breaks (from a sample pack, gasp!), slicing up/resampling one-shots (again from sample packs) and then fire up a synth that I'm feeling to hammer out a decent melody that I hope will act as a catalyst to create a song. I may even go back and grab a pad or atmosphere noise (from a sample pack) and then try to recreate it or layer it with one that I created. The point is I know damn well what the fuck I'm doing when I'm sitting in my basement dungeon studio but time is not on my side so I'll do whatever I can to create a song that I feel is a reflection of the "sound" that myself (and msmith222) are looking for. And if a piece of my composition comes from a sample pack I could give exactly ZERO fucks what other people think. As long as I can call it my own, I'm satisfied. And if other people happen to like it, all the better.

Fuck bitches. Get money. *drops mic, walks off stage.*

Cheers.

Last edited:
I'm interested in starting fresh w/ n-track studio. where will i be able to get these samples?

7220605.gif

The Optiv & BTK pack is available with the new edition of the computer music magazine. You can grab more samples for free at our homepage ( just click on the banner below ), and download all the demo packs.

And we are celebrating seven years of bhk samples with a free 506 MB dubstep sample pack + 128 MB of drum n bass samples available at our facebook page

And if you decide to buy a bhk sample pack on our website , remember that we give you a full right of return within 24 hours, if you do not like the purchased pack ;)

Not sure what's not to get.

Electronic music–no matter what genre/subgenre–was founded on sampling whether it be vinyl, cassette, etc. Tunes were created using a combination of said samples as well as original compositions via live drummers and good ol' fashion synthesis. In this day in a age it's a bit harder to simply rip a sample from an old vinyl recording (or other medium) without fearing the possibility of backlash in the form of a copyright infringement or other legality. Why then is it a problem to make use of royalty-free, legal samples that have been created? It's a bit hypocritical for one to complain about the use of samples from sample packs, yet believe that sampling/ripping from a recording is acceptable.

Furthermore, as I've said in a previous post many moons ago, the use of samples is music is analogous to cooking. If you put someone who doesn't know shit into a kitchen at a Michelin Star restaurant and provide them access to every ingredient known to man, what do you think you'll end up with? Inedible shit or a peanut butter sandwich at best. The point is that just because someone has all the tools at their disposal doesn't mean they're going to be able to use them in a manner that will prove to be effective. The same goes for a new producer who buys a thousand sample packs and dumps them all into a DAW–it's going to sound like incoherent shit. There's more to creating a song then simply dumping in samples: tuning, arranging (and rearranging), EQing, compressing...then throw in the fact that you're going to need to write a good synth melody to compliment those pieces and hopefully, hopefully, you end up something that may turn into a finished project...but probably not. However, the means in which you manipulate those samples in conjunction with your own original patches, melodies, chords, etc. are in the end what makes someone a good producer–and if you're lucky, you do it in a manner that makes people turn their head and notice that you have a unique "sound."

I'm not advocating that people go out and purchase construction kits, dump the stems in a DAW and call it day–that's just lazy and will only take you so far. What I'm saying is that, in my humble opinion, taking samples, loops, hits, etc. from a pack and then eqing, effecting, chopping, resampling, etc. to fit within the context of your tune should not be looked down upon considering one of the fundamental aspects of electronic music is using samples. It just happens that now we have access to a lot more samples that we don't need to get cleared or pay royalties for their use.

Finally, someone like myself–a father of two very young kids, has a full-time job in addition to DJing corporate & private gigs about 35 weekends out of the year–doesn't have time to sit around for hours creating drums from scratch and field recording the sounds from shaking a bag of dicks to create an impulse response for reverb. When I have precious studio time from 10 pm to 3 am, I'm chopping the fuck out of some breaks (from a sample pack, gasp!), slicing up/resampling one-shots (again from sample packs) and then fire up a synth that I'm feeling to hammer out a decent melody that I hope will act as a catalyst to create a song. I may even go back and grab a pad or atmosphere noise (from a sample pack) and then try to recreate it or layer it with one that I created. The point is I know damn well what the fuck I'm doing when I'm sitting in my basement dungeon studio but time is not on my side so I'll do whatever I can to create a song that I feel is a reflection of the "sound" that myself (and msmith222) are looking for. And if a piece of my composition comes from a sample pack I could give exactly ZERO fucks what other people think. As long as I can call it my own, I'm satisfied. And if other people happen to like it, all the better.

Fuck bitches. Get money. *drops mic, walks off stage.*

Cheers.

*walks on stage... picks up mic...

"wait bro!"

HAHAHA! love you bro. Yeah im not against using samples, I use samples myself here n there. Like when the intro hits there is a cymbal crash obv thats standard, then there are SOME use of other noise samples such as fx as I see fit... haha I love samples and stuff. One thing I dont understand is how can someone sit there and make a song with ready made basses. Which is fine you see the structure and how its supposed to sound. and im not even against people doing that lol im just wondering why not work it in a synth! Optiv and BTK made them all in synths! :P not against at all though using sample packs whatever sounds they may be! I personally enjoy making my basses all from scratch! but it doesnt matter AT ALL if someone else uses an entire sample library of Optiv and BTK samples and becomes huge overnight.... and i stay small for the rest of my life... LOLOL really doesnt matter its all the same love, i was just wondering :P

And in no way was I talking down on sampling. I apologize if you did get that out of what I wrote. Im just curious! I hate using samples like basses, not because its lazy. I encourage doing whatever you want to do and that fits LOL. I HATE using samples solely because I LOVE to challenge myself and create basses, otherwise I too would use them! :P

Last edited:
*walks on stage... picks up mic...

"wait bro!"

HAHAHA! love you bro. Yeah im not against using samples, I use samples myself here n there. Like when the intro hits there is a cymbal crash obv thats standard, then there are SOME use of other noise samples such as fx as I see fit... haha I love samples and stuff. One thing I dont understand is how can someone sit there and make a song with ready made basses. Which is fine you see the structure and how its supposed to sound. and im not even against people doing that lol im just wondering why not work it in a synth! Optiv and BTK made them all in synths! :P not against at all though using sample packs whatever sounds they may be! I personally enjoy making my basses all from scratch! but it doesnt matter AT ALL if someone else uses an entire sample library of Optiv and BTK samples and becomes huge overnight.... and i stay small for the rest of my life... LOLOL really doesnt matter its all the same love, i was just wondering :P

And in no way was I talking down on sampling. I apologize if you did get that out of what I wrote. Im just curious! I hate using samples like basses, not because its lazy. I encourage doing whatever you want to do and that fits LOL. I HATE using samples solely because I LOVE to challenge myself and create basses, otherwise I too would use them! :P
That's the thing, it doesnt work like that. 98% of artists dont buy and download sample packs just to take the samples as they are, make a track out of them, and call it a day. What we do is take the samples, slice them, twist them, reverse them, resample them, bounce them or whatever, to give them context in a track that we are in the process of making.
Not only is it difficult to do, but you are not meant to create tracks just off ready made basses. You might resample them to create a bassline that you've thought of, or chop and resample to use as a shot, or maybe as an ambient effect in the intro.
Synthesis is only half the story when making basses, and resampling samples made by myself or others plays a big part in in my production. It's all about taking those samples, putting them into a track and calling them your own.

That's the thing, it doesnt work like that. 98% of artists dont buy and download sample packs just to take the samples as they are, make a track out of them, and call it a day. What we do is take the samples, slice them, twist them, reverse them, resample them, bounce them or whatever, to give them context in a track that we are in the process of making.
Not only is it difficult to do, but you are not meant to create tracks just off ready made basses. You might resample them to create a bassline that you've thought of, or chop and resample to use as a shot, or maybe as an ambient effect in the intro.
Synthesis is only half the story when making basses, and resampling samples made by myself or others plays a big part in in my production. It's all about taking those samples, putting them into a track and calling them your own.

Haha no yeah bro I understand im not talking down on it. Idc even if some doesnt resample haha. Btw the statement you bolded is just one example that I made extreme.it doesny matter im all up for it haha. Personally I hate to use sample cause I love to make my own synths but I do use samples. And im not talking down on anyone using them

Re: Computer Music November - VIP SERIES: OPTIV & BTK 800 free samples

Ooh a "to sample or not to sample" argument. Interesting. Personally I favor it; it's tough as shit to make your own custom samples AND make enough of them to compose a full tune. A little too much time actually. There are things I'll always try to make from scratch: atmospheric pads, some leads, parts of the bass maybe.

But making everything from scratch and expecting to finish it in a reasonable amount of time,...hell no. You'd need decades of experience and a lot of free time to do that, and I have neither.

Besides like you all have been saying, it's more about what you do with the sample, have fun with that shit, don't just use it dry. Push the sound.

- - - Updated - - -

Optiv and BTK made them all in synths!
Somewhat true. The initial parts of them, absolutely, but you know they resample and process them to hell and back, right ;)?

Either that, or they have multiple instances of multiple synths open at once and all filters/eqs/effects/compressors lined up on individually routed buses, which is just too resource-heavy for some of us to pull off.

Back
Top Bottom