compression in fl studio...

Discussion in 'Production' started by EWOKS, May 26, 2008.

1. EWOKS

EWOKS POTATOES GONNA POTATE

hi ppl .

big thanks to Marlztah for his post a few weeks ago , about eqing with the parametric eq 2 . in FL. ive been playing with it abit but not enough unfortunately.

i was hoping someone could give me a few tips on compression in fl on drums etc .

i really have no idea where to start , what do i use , what settings should i aim for ,

and what should i look to compress, kicks ? snares ? both ? everything ..

at the moment , i link say a kick to the mixer then open ' fruity compressor' on it ..

but i am stuck what i should aim for, like , what do i adjust ... the gain? threshhold? ratio?type? release?attack?

im puzzled on this one. ive looked all over for a simple overview and a step by step type noob guide but have not found much...

the help on the parametric eq'ing from darkist and marlztah was spot on, http://www.dnbforum.com/showthread.php?t=46551

i hope i can have some simplistic help on this aswell.. p.s. i really do not know anything so please ... in Major Laymans Terms!!

2. sam the dnb man

sam the dnb man Variation

dont compress the snare cos ul endup soundin like pendulame

3. lovebeijgo

lovebeijgo New Member

forget the favor received

[Post edited.

Piss off spammer.]

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2008
  4. vickvega

vickvega Mr. Blonde

wtf -world of warcraft-wot the shit is this

5. Nutek

Nutek movement junglist

I usually just play around until it sounds right, I dont have a clue about the science of music :lol:

6. EWOKS

can someone please help me with compression in fl please...

my last post got absolutely spammed!!, which p!ssed me off sumthin rotten ... talk shit in the off topic section of the forum please ... a jokes a joke and talkin bout other stuff is acceptable, but that was just 4 replys of crap ... it went into some world of warcraft biz.... im after help with compression please ppl :shades:

all HELP is very much welcome, and taken on board !

so ....

big thanks to Marlztah for his post a few weeks ago , about eqing with the parametric eq 2 . in FL. ive been playing with it abit but not enough unfortunately.

i was hoping someone could give me a few tips on compression in fl on drums etc .

i really have no idea where to start , what do i use , what settings should i aim for ,

and what should i look to compress, kicks ? snares ? both ? everything ..

at the moment , i link say a kick to the mixer then open ' fruity compressor' on it ..

but i am stuck what i should aim for, like , what do i adjust ... the gain? threshhold? ratio?type? release?attack?

im puzzled on this one. ive looked all over for a simple overview and a step by step type noob guide but have not found much...

the help on the parametric eq'ing from darkist and marlztah was spot on, http://www.dnbforum.com/showthread.php?t=46551

i hope i can have some simplistic help on this aswell.. p.s. i really do not know anything so please ... in Major Laymans Terms!!

7. EWOKS

please ... some useful info if anyone has any ... not just ... play around with it, or dont compress the snare....

please tell me why , how , what i should and shouldnt adjust, to get good sounds please. i have tried the trail and error , but dont know where i should be aiming ..

and i know i should just be aiming for it to sound good but still ...

any idea what settings or levels or what not ....

basically im clueless sooooo ..

help please guys ...

i dont want my topic spammed with conversation about pendulame and wow ... im assuming, the wow thing was an outside company tring to make money .... but not my f'kin thread pleaaaaaase :cool:

8. EWOKS

cheers for the useful help on compression man ???? ...:oscar:
    please talk shit in the ' waffle ' section ... or start another thread talking bout pendulum...

(y):gpeace::gpeace:

peace x

9. Gumby

Gumby New Member

Threads merged.

Please dont make multiple threads on the same topic. (y)

10. MARLZTAH

MARLZTAH ++DuB PrOFesSoR++

ok compression is a bit of a tough one to answer.... and im no expert on it, compression is hardly one of my strong points but i'll have a shot

everyones opinions on compression are different (see above) so not everyone will probably agree with this but here goes....

if i am compressing a drum beat i will send the different drums to their own FX tracks...

its hard to hear what a compressor is doing to the sound, so while im tweaking i'll turn the threshold right down low so i can hear it better

then i'll set the ratio to somewhere bettween 4:1 & 8:1

i will then turn the attack all the way down, and slowly move it up until the first part of the drum sounds ok, then i'll do the same for the release

once im happy with the att/rel i'll move the threshold up until i can hardly hear any compression at all. if you turn the threshold up too high it wont do anything to the drums at all so make sure its still doing something..... a compressor with a gain reduction meter helps with this (kjaerhus audio classic compressor is a good free comp with one, see my free vst post in my sig)

i adjust the threshold until the gain reduction meter will just light up very quickly when the drum sounds, if i feel the compression is still a bit agressive on the sounds i'll lower the ratio, or soften the knee setting (although im not too sure about knee settings, i'll usually leave it set halfway bettween soft and hard)

so thats my take on compression.... im still learning so dont take anything i say too seriously lol

tbh mate, i dont think you should worry about compression at this stage, concentrate more on just making tracks for now, compression is something you should think about when youre more confident about other aspects of your production work imo

11. EWOKS

cheers pal ,

sorted me out , its nice to have someone take time to help put a man in need ...

ill try what you said at a later date then ... and stick to makin sum rawkus for now ...

12. toxysweden

toxysweden what do these knobs do?

point taken no disrespect ;))))):hold_hand

:violin:

13. toxysweden

play with the knobs n seee what effect they have on your drums decided yourself theres no rules just wrong ways :)

note compression is like a spring its basilcally used for adjusting the level of say 2 or more elements in your track. note sound isnt linear its logrithmic in nature( look sound is measured in db's)

therefore your hears work by referencing sounds to deternine which is loudest ......... otherwise your hear drums would have broken long ago .....

try also playing with distortion and reverb............

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  14. toxysweden

basicly its the same for me as well so im not being cheeky the run down is like this :-

read! read! read! practise!,read! practise! read some more practise! take a rest maybe, read!, practise and then when your good keep practising because the story never ends your never to cool to school ......

do a search these are some i found on google in 10seconds:-

dnb reference tool DOA
    http://www.dnbwiki.com/index.php/Compression

dont know but looked interestin

http://www.looperman.com/tutorials-production-17-compression_explained.html
    http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Articles/Compression/

sound therory
    http://www.planetoftunes.com/sound/whatsoun.html

search and read ? you cant get anymore useful help than that apart from say maybe if say you lived with teebee or pedulame or anyone who knows more and they showed you how they do things.......

also trust your hears and use other peoples work as a reference to better yourself ?

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  15. EWOKS

respect to that.. im using the new microsoft paint at the moment. may upgrade soon . cheers pal.

i dont actually care if my topic gets spammed usually , but this one was abit imprtant to me ... and yes ... reading and learning id the best way, but i wondered if there was a not simple but , a specific way people tend to do it ... or certain things that i shouldnt do it to ... like do i compress everything .. but ill read and learn

:lickface:

taaaaa lad

16. toxysweden

itz important to me to as well!!!!

when i started posting on a forum 3 yrs ago i asked alot questions like this myself,

I was abit disapointed with the feadback i recieved as well, but I think now ive realised that the reason why peps dont always comment or if they tell you read stuff and practise itz not because they dont want to help you.

itz because theres a million ways to do things and no wrong way IF! the final product is good!

also its always best to learn things yourself because you get an indepth understanding of things customed to your way of thinking(everybody is different) but yeah everybody needs pointers!

well the simplest and fastest way would be if your lucky enough is to be able to hang out with a gang of top producers that are willing to show you the ropes i guess! then you can use there ideas and tricks develop them further to your liking(crash course). but if you havent got that luxury then its like anything else you want to get good at ,

its always down to hard work and effort. hehe

but still it takes time to get everything to work together and if 1 thing is wrong it all falls down....... but that should motivate you more ;))))) bigupzzzzzz

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  17. MARLZTAH

thanks for the links mate.... some good reading there ;)

18. MARLZTAH

19. ApeCat

ApeCat Human Dubplate

Okay, so this is wicked thread necromancy, but I've got a stupid question on compression and I don't want to start a new thread...

Should I put the compressor on my master channel or do I put different compressors on everything?

Cheers!

20. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

if you put anything on the master channel the sample wont sound the same in your daw as it in your audio editor. thats the problem with putting stuff on your master. its quite common, even though i wouldnt, for said reason. some people swear by sticking ozone with CD master preset on there, says its great, makes the sounds pop out really well.